Author Topic: February Event  (Read 4388 times)

Smashley

• Legendary
February Event
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:46:50 am »
The February Event aka F*$#k Mid-terms will be happening after the reading break. Even if you haven't finished all over your mid-terms still show up! You can still screw them by coming :p

So the even is going to be a nice ol' fashion board games night with munchies and pop (not free this time though :p good try). So if you have any new toys bring 'em along or stop by for some classics (like 18 rounds of Bang).

This even will most likly be held mid-week I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong other execs lol). We will be posting room and location once it's all be nailed down :D

So for now keep the week after reading break free :D
* You say freak like it's a bad thing *~

v3ck

• ‹bermensch
  • Legendary
Re: February Event
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »
Please, somebody bring Citadels.

Smashley

• Legendary
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:04:49 am »
We will either buy it or I'll borrow it from someone :D

v3ck

• ‹bermensch
  • Legendary
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:50:17 pm »
I definitely won't show up the week after reading break.

Smashley

• Legendary
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 01:50:47 am »
lol aw come on!

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:46 am »
So is this thing falling through? Heh.
Remember, the moon is watching.

webservice@growbiggerpenis.com

• Number One
  • Legendary
  • I'm dapper!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
if all else fails we can play a game of dread instead

hey whats that no i am not addicted to dread go away and stop making those accusations

Smashley

• Legendary
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
Alright so it's going to be on Wed the 25th starting at 5 and going till about 9ish (though I know 25 man raid starts at 8 but that shouldn't be an issue). We'll be playing board games and devouring munchies and mountain dew like proper gamers :D The club has (finally) acquired a copy of Citadels so maybe shotgunbill could bring his expansion set?

So come on down and hang out for a few hours and F$*# your midterms right up the backside!

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:53:09 pm »
I give a glowing disapproval of this event. My midterms are over by the time it happens.

Smashley

• Legendary
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:49:24 pm »
lol COME ANYWAYS YOU LOSER!

webservice@growbiggerpenis.com

• Number One
  • Legendary
  • I'm dapper!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 03:53:51 pm »
WE DON'T LIKE YUR TYPE ROUND THESE PARTS ESPIE

GEDDAFOCK OUTTA HERE

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »
Oh I see how it is. I'm a loser am I? FINE.

Niv

• Legendary
  • Would you like some more, PANCAKES?
    • MTGSalvation
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:00:05 am »
Alright so it's going to be on Wed the 25th starting at 5 and going till about 9ish (though I know 25 man raid starts at 8 but that shouldn't be an issue). We'll be playing board games and devouring munchies and mountain dew like proper gamers :D The club has (finally) acquired a copy of Citadels so maybe shotgunbill could bring his expansion set?

So come on down and hang out for a few hours and F$*# your midterms right up the backside!

trust me, the 25 man raid was an issue, I love being sereamed at by GitS. that cut the night early. Fun!

sirstargazer

• The Lord of feathers
  • Administrator
  • Legendary
  • the wicked
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 06:42:18 pm »
Indeed, the raid was an issue.  But both groups were at fault for what happened and nobody's hands are fully clean.  Instead of continuing the conflict through sarcastic posts let us instead take this as an opportunity to better ourselves and the club.

Was it wrong for GitS to yell? Absolutely-there is no debate that it was inappropriate.  However, I do wish to offer an explanation from the raid's point of view.  Gits, being the raid leader has a lot of responsibility to the 24 other people he is leading.  For many of the 24 people it was 2 or 3AM in the morning.  One is, against our advice, even playing under the influence of pain medication after a work related accident.  Now this may seem silly to many but from the perspective of the raiders it is very much like the feeling you get from watching the mighty ducks.  We are a team.  We work together and for us to succeed- there is a level of coordination required.  Every man/woman's part of the team counts towards and is needed in succeeding.  And, as with any team, we have a sense of comradery and honestly the feeling of working as a team to accomplish the goal is why most of us play.  Some get this through sports, others through building something together, some through collective writing- our venue is WoW.  Of all of us, the greatest responsibility lies with GitS as he is the one that organized this weekly run.  And it is ultimately his responsibility to everyone else to be there to coordinate the efforts of the rest of the 24 players who are staying up late or even just setting aside the 4 hours to accomplish that one thing together.  It's his fault if the raid fails and everyone wastes the 4 hours they invested.  So understandably he bears the greatest burden of all of us.  As the game you guys were playing was a particularly vocal new game, the noise level was unexpectedly loud compared to the usual ones we have at the club.  Had he known that there was such a game GitS would have raided from home.

Is this an excuse for his actions? Absolutely not.  But I offer that not as an excuse but an explanation and hope that everyone in both groups will try to put themselves in the shoes of the other and make the effort to understand rather than further the conflict.  The raid had asked many time from different people for a decrease in volume but the requests were of no avail.  Any decrease in volume was short lived.  I am sure both sides felt frustration and it is only through empathy and understanding that we can fully take advantage of this opportunity to improve our club- by seeking not to just defend our own actions or decrying the actions of other but rather by seeking to understand the influences and pressures each of us were under when we made the decisions we did.  In retrospect, a better solution for both groups would have been to simultaneously put both of our respective games on hold for 30 seconds and come to an agreement about the noise level.  Obviously one group talking to the other while the other group was in the middle of an action/boss fight didn't work.  But hindsight is 20/20 and in the heat of the moment we do not always make the right choice but it everyone tries to make the best decision possible given the pressures and influence of the situation at any moment in time.

When it came to the noise level both groups were at fault and understandably so.  We the raiders were loud because you gamers were loud and you gamers were loud because we were.  Such an increase in noise volume comes unconsciously and most of us probably didn't notice the escalation as it occurred as the reaction was reflexive and automatic.  However the raiders did request a decrease in noise multiple times.  But like I said, the eventual re-increasing of noise volume was most likely unconscious but it did happen soon after requests were made and acknowledged.  I am sure some of the requests were not even acknowledged but that comes with the noisy room- not everything is heard.   

It is my hope that all of us involved from both groups take this as an opportunity to learn.  Noise has been something that the wargamers have wrestled with from the beginning.  And it's something that could be a problem no matter what two groups are playing what two games.  Let this bring the issue into the forefront of all our minds.  Let us be more mindful of other people in the room.  Let us all try to keep in mind that we all unconsciously talk louder and louder as we all try to make ourselves heard.  I think that if we try to always keep that in our thoughts and to try and be more sensitive to others complaining about our noise level, it will greatly improve our club as a whole.  This holds doubly true for our younger members as you are the future of this club. 

I've discussed this issue with Smashley (our president) and would love it if we could talk to people from both parties further about this.  We think it would be of great benefit for the club as a whole if I sat down with some of you and talked things out.  This goes to members of the raid and to those playing the boardgame.  Maybe we'll end up making policy changes but if nothing else it will give me a chance to better understand your points of view.  So please private message me and we can setup a time when we are both free.  Anything said in that conversation will be kept completely confidential and stays between you and I unless you give me reason to believe you are planning to hurt yourself, someone else, if there is a possible instance of child abuse, it was court ordered, or if you wish to bring it up to others yourself (like Smashley).

I hope to hear from you guys soon!

~Rick
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:51:48 pm by admin »
"Hiding the fact you're dead again
Underneath the power lines seeking shade
Far above our heads are the icy heights that contain all reason
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks
That let us bet when you know we should've folded "~ The Shins

scientology