Author Topic: Setting Riff: What if only NE,NG, LN and CN alignments existed in a D&D world?  (Read 1381 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
 I am thinking in terms of 3.5, but it could apply to 1st/2nd editions and 5th edition, I think.  4th does its own thing with alignment.

What if the only 4 alignments were NE, LN, CN and NG? (No true neutrals).
I mean from the highest to the lowest level.

For one thing, even animals would be different, I guess (I suppose one might go for the dodge that "unintelligent" = unaligned. Or one could just go whole hog and say there really are "good" dogs and evil chickens). Or maybe template them all?  Mind you, what would good carnivores do if all animals are sentient?

For another, we lose many gods (We still have Pelor, Garl Glittergold, Ehlonna, Wee Jas, St. Cuthbert, Olidammera, Nerull and Vecna), all devils and demons (daemons are still around), many LG/CG outsiders too.

We'd lose Paladins, many alternate Paladins, and Soulborn. ;)

Clerics would only have one alignment domain, maximum.

The "great Wheel" would be down to 4 outer "aligned" planes.

Anyway, this is off the top of my head. What are your thoughts?
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
Ok, taking a trip through the MM for 3.5 (and wiping out races/monsters of other alignments, even if it just says "usually" or "often"). . .

Allip are still around for mid-level undead, Angels, maybe Animated Objects if I allow non-sentients (Int -, 1 or 2) as the only true neutrals, Ankheg (I think I will, it is easier), assassin vine, Azer as our first LN race, Basilisk, Belkers, Bulette, Carrion Crawlers, Celestial template (we have angels after all), Centaurs (Ng represent!), Chaos beasts, Cloakers, Cockatrice, Darkmantle, Destrachian, Devourer, Digester, Dinosaurs, Dire Animals, Giant Eagles, Drow Elf (uh-oh!  But Lolth the CE goddess is gone, I think), Ettercaps, Fiendish template (there are a few fiends that are NE), Formians (I still think modrons should have been in the MM I), Frost Worm, Fungus (shieker, violet), ghost, Cloud Giant, Girallon, Githyanki, Gnome (only PHB race standing!  Even humans are gone!  How does it change things if the entire PC party is small?), Goblin (given class levels they can be the low-to-high level standard bad guy race), Golems, Gorgon, Grimlock, Guardinals, half-celestial, (since half-dragon doesn't have an entry for pseudo-dragon parents, but only true dragon parents (all gone) it is gone too), half-fiend, hippogriff, homunculus, Hydra, Inevitables, Kraken (I didn't know they were evil!), Kuo-toa, Lich, Magmin, Night Hag (probably the source of most of the half-fiends), Nightmare, Oozes, Giant Owls, Owlbears, Phantom Fungus, Phasm, Planetouched, Pseudodragons (might need a new name?), Purple Worm, Roc, Rust Monster, Salamanders, Satyr, Sea Cat, Shadow Mastiff, Shield Guardian, Shocker Lizard, Skeleton, Slaad, Spider Eater, Grig, Pixie, Stirge, Swarm (except Hellwasp Swarm), Titan, Treant, Triton, Vampire, Vampire Spawn, Vargouille, Winter Wolf (evil), Worg (evil), Yeth Hounds (evil, sensing a pattern here!), Zombie, most animals, most vermin.

Class-wise, if we just go with these monsters Dragon Disciple is also out (again, the pseudo-dragon exists, but it isn't written up for this prestige class).

I would have to change the Summon Monster lists to change celestial and fiendish alignments to NG and NE, or really purge those lists.
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!