Author Topic: D&D 5th Massacre at the Morrows  (Read 2667 times)

mebg

• Noob
D&D 5th Massacre at the Morrows
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:38:48 am »
Name of campaign:
Massacre at the Marrow: Part 1

Type of game:
Dungeons and Dragons 5e

GM:
Marty Greyell

Number of players:
8/8 
*If you are interested in playing please contact me via Facebook or reply to this forum thread. Despite being a full group, we have not yet started the campaign. I speculate we may have someone drop and will thus be able to accommodate anyone who is interested! We also do have players who will be leaving next year, so spots will naturally open up.

Time, date, expected running period:
Our tentative start date is Sunday September 25th at 7:00. However, the date and time we decide to play will fluctuate around the exam period. As my campaign is designed to be long term, the expected running period will be at least until the end of the spring semester.

Other:

What you can expect from me:

*Drawn grid maps of combat encounters, as well as hand drawn world/continent maps.

*50+ hours of campaign detail including main and sub story quests

*Deep NPC backstories fully voice acted

*A sandbox RPG world with many different paths to take, each major adventure will ultimately effect the state of the world in some way.

*Immersive background music handpicked from a number of video games including Oblivion, Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher, etc.

*For perspective on my DM style, look up critical role on YouTube. I try to follow his style as best as I can!

What I need from you!

*First and foremost a character you would be interested in playing over a long term campaign. Your character should have a backstory that can be as detailed as you want it to be. The reason for this is because I want to integrate each player backstory into my world, which ultimately will lead to personal conflict/quests related to your character. I realize you do not know any areas in my world, but I encourage you to be creative and make up locations/names of NPC’s (family or acquaintances). If possible I would also like to meet with each of you to discuss this! I will include a list of questions below that will help with backstory creation. Again, if you find this part overwhelming, don’t hesitate to talk to me!

*Get into character! This is not required, however I’ve always found it fun to explore different voices and mannerisms for each character I create!

Character Backstory Questions

*Answering every question is not required!*

• What is your character’s name?
• How old is your character?
• What would somebody see at first glance (i.e. height, weight, skin color, eye color, hair color, physique, race, and visible equipment)?
• What additional attributes would be noticed upon meeting the character (i.e. Speech, mannerisms)?
• Where was your character born? Where were you raised? By who?
• Who are your parents? Are they alive? What do they do for a living?
• Do you have any other family or friends?
• What is your character’s marital status? Kids?
• What is your character’s alignment?
• What is your character’s moral code?
• Does your character have goals?
• Is your character religious?
• What are your character’s personal beliefs?
• Does your character have any personality quirks (i.e. anti-social, arrogant, optimistic, paranoid)?
• Why does your character adventure?
• How does your character view his/her role as an adventurer?
• Does your character have any distinguishing marks (birth- marks, scars, deformities)?
• How does your character get along with others?
• Is there anything that your character hates?
• Is there anything that your character fears?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:31:34 pm by GitS »

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
Re: D&D 5th Massacre at the Morrows
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »
yeah i can see the 50+ hours you worked on this game.  Fully voice acted NPCs?  Music?  gee thanks man for raising the bar. 

all in all looks like you put a lot of effort and i applaude that.   GL HF!  keep us up to date on how things go
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

mebg

• Noob
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:01 am »
yeah i can see the 50+ hours you worked on this game.  Fully voice acted NPCs?  Music?  gee thanks man for raising the bar. 

all in all looks like you put a lot of effort and i applaude that.   GL HF!  keep us up to date on how things go

Thanks I really appreciate it!

I will be posting updates here after every session in case anyone is interested in following along!

Czernobog

• Wargamer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:34:59 pm »
This sounds really neat! Unfortunately, my RPG schedule is all full up at the moment, otherwise I would join. Until then, I shall satisfy myself with the logs.

MauveAvengr

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:51:09 pm »
Hey there!  I'm definitely interested.  Realize your party is full now, but would very much like to join in if someone drops out. 

I'm in the process of making a character right now.  First off, playing a female character (even though I'm male).  She's a half-orc adopted by a noble (human) family in a major city.  She's a trained fighter and grew up wanting to be a paladin.  Though in recent years, she's started to hear voices in her head and has started to become conflicted...

Here are some of the questions answered:

What is your character’s name? Zoya Sudrorsk
• How old is your character? 19 (just entered adulthood)
• What would somebody see at first glance (i.e. height, weight, skin color, eye color, hair color, physique, race, and visible equipment)? She is a rather tall half orc, with a rugby-like build.  She was raised in a human noble household.  So she has the family crest as a pendant on her chest.  Her clothes are well tailored and has a greatsword attached to her hip. 
• What additional attributes would be noticed upon meeting the character (i.e. Speech, mannerisms)?  She seems well poised, but easily distracted.  She once met the king (or lord or whoever rules the city) and he said she was very charming (though she thought he meant 'for a half-orc')
• Where was your character born? Where were you raised? By who?  According to her father, she was born in the forest and was taken in/adopted by him and his wife. 
• Who are your parents? Are they alive? What do they do for a living?  They are nobles in a great city.  I had two young (3-4 year old twins) brothers.  My adoptive mother and step-brothers all died from a terrible plague a few years back.  So it is just my father and I. 
• Do you have any other family or friends?  Being the only half-orc raised in this setting, I had no friends growing up as most (human) children would taunt me.  I usually stayed at home, learning everything from sword fighting to history of the region
• What is your character’s marital status? Kids?  She just entered adulthood not too long ago.  No children as of yet. 
• What is your character’s alignment?  Neutral Good. 
• What is your character’s moral code?  She grew up wanting to be a paladin.  Her mother took her to the local temple every week.  There, she saw pictures and her stories of great holy warriors and idolized them.  She tried to be just and right whenever possible.  No temples would teach her the ways of the paladin because she was a half orc, which devastated her. Someone mentioned of a half-orc paladin holy order somewhere in a town far away (though she only believes it is a rumor).  Because of this, she has realized the world is not just, but still tries to be good whenever possible
• Does your character have goals?  Try to learn the ways of paladin.
• Is your character religious?  Very.  She wants to be a paladin
• What are your character’s personal beliefs? Life isn't quite fair.  Family is everything
• Does your character have any personality quirks (i.e. anti-social, arrogant, optimistic, paranoid)?  She grew up optimistic, but ever since being denied membership in the paladin holy order ranks, she has started to hear voices in her head.  She is slowly becoming more cynical and paranoid. 
• Why does your character adventure?  She also realized the stories of her birth may not be true - that her father may have lied to her.  So she is off to try and find out more about her birth home (in addition to finding the half-orc paladin holy order).
• How does your character view his/her role as an adventurer?  She is quite ready to get out of the city and explore more of the world.  She has spent most of her time in her home and at the temple.  The monotonous life is not for her.  So she believes she is the ideal candidate for an adventurer. 
• Does your character have any distinguishing marks (birth- marks, scars, deformities)?  Besides her half-orc features, she does not. 
• How does your character get along with others?  She can be too trusting of others and will help others she believe need help.  However, due to being a half-orc, others don't always trust her. 
• Is there anything that your character hates?  Not really.
• Is there anything that your character fears?  That her life is a lie

So, that's the basis of my character.  I have a lot more background that I can go further in depth on.  Some of it I want to keep private (not on forums).  Some of it, my character doesn't know but adds more story to her birth/growing up.  Also, I can talk about what my plans are for the future (both what she wants to happen and what I want to happen).

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:14 am »
you know there is private msging on the forums.
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

jerryserp

• Noob
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »
Do this game still taking people in?

mebg

• Noob
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:06:04 am »
So the campaign begins!

Our heroes begin their Journey in a refugee convoy headed down the Marrow Road for the province of Bal'Doran; conscripted into a small quick relief force to defend the convoy if need be. After their sentry shift ended, the team retreated into a large rest wagon to get off their feet. Suddenly, puffs of blackened mist began to coalesce on the hillsides surrounding the road, and black hooded figures equipped with bows begin to rain arrows down on the convoy. With nowhere to go, the convoy's defenders are instantly overwhelmed. Before the party could exit  to help, an unknown wizard appeared just meters away from their wagon and blasted the wagon over, trapping the party inside. Before falling unconscious under the rubble, Kleek, the changeling bard, is able to catch a glimpse of a crescent moon pendant hanging from the unknown wizards neck. Hours later the adventurers come to as a large hammer slams down on the broken wagon, breaking the side panel. A man dressed in shining white and silver plate armour bearing the mark of the silver flame on his pauldrons drags the party out of the rubble and loads them onto a horse-drawn transport. As the party members peer out over the convoy, it becomes horribly evident that they are the only survivors of the massacre. Bodies lay scattered everywhere, and the small army that accompanied the man who rescued the party had already begin to pile the corpses for burning.

After an hour of travel, the party emerges at the gates of Bal'Doran - a large fortification stretching for miles called the Wall of the Mountains. The wall was constructed to keep roving bands of giants out the imperial province before the conquest of Bal'Doran. The party travels past the three layers of mighty walls before entering the Yull Bulwark - the town on the inner periphery of the walls responsible for administering the transfer of refugees and maintenance of the walls defenses. After a short talk with the towns leader, Warrant Lanae, regarding the massacre at the Marrow, the party is directed towards their rescuer, a human paladin named Gregor Kaldoran. Gregor tells the party that they must head for Bella Terra to inform the Council of Bal'Doran of the massacre and give witness statements. Gregor then directs the party to head south to the Alderspire to speak with his friend Ermion, who has a teleportation circle they could use to get to Bella Terra. Before the party is allowed to leave, however, Gregor marks the forearm of each party member with a holy symbol of the silver flame (In short, this works like a hunters mark so Gregor will know where they are). Gregor then informs the group that the council will convene in three days time, and they are welcome to stay at his estate in Bella Terra until the time comes. Once they make it through the portal, the party is instructed to seek out Lorek Stonefist who would set them up in Bella Terra.

Heading south, the party traverses the rolling hills and vineyards of the beautiful countryside. Finally reaching the Alderspire, the party is introduced to Ermion Alder, wizard, cartographer and celestial historian. Ermion shows the party a map of the province (my hand drawn map) and "persuades" them to listen to the abstract out of his newest novel, “The Quintessential Underpinnings of Celestial Analysis Through the History of Creation, and Resource Book” (The exact narrative will be included at the end of this summary). After Ermion is finished, however, he informs the party that one of his students accidentally transported the teleportation implement beneath the tower, instead of up into Ermion's study as was constructed. The party then venture down underneath the tower into the ancient training ground for apprentice wizards that has laid undisturbed for nearly a century. The door to the training ground required two individuals versed in magic to place their hands on an arcane switch and channel magic into the door. With Ermion at one side, the high elf wizard of the group, Alzoric underestimated the arcane nature of the door and was electrocuted and thrown backwards head over heels into the wall. Cracking his fingers, the bard Kleek -oddly enought- confidently assists Ermion in opening the doorway. The party navigate through a series of traps, and ambush a small group of goblins. After conquering the rest of the cave that was riddled with illusions, the group, with the portal in sight, is ambushed by an animated arcane construct. Zoya, the half-orc fighter is knocked unconscious just before Anora, the moon elf rogue, pierces the constructs core. The party take the damaged portal, but to their dismay, land in a pond on the outskirts of Bella Terra proper. Everyone emerges safely, but Anora and Zoya experience a strange occurrence. While travelling through the nether of the multiverse through the portal, both Anora and Zoya feel as if someone, or some thing, is trying to rip them out of the nether into an unknown realm.

Here is the history of creation as per the groups conversation with Ermion as aforementioned:

I shall read to you simply the abstract from my newest novel in the works, “The Quintessential Underpinnings of Celestial Analysis Through the History of Creation and Resource Book,” by Ermion Alder of course. In the beginning, there lived the great creator, Antiox flying endlessly throughout the cosmos. A dragon with such cognitive power that his very thoughts could create new life. Through the power of his mind and memory, he created his sons Kenaroth and Lothi and daughters Ashel and Yuvilla (pronounced You-Vee-Ya). Each of these dragon offspring of the great creator possessed Antiox’ power of cognitive creation. Ashel would forge the great Plane of Fire, home to the volcanic fountains of creation, the endless cinder wastes, the sea of fire and the city of brass. Yuvilla would manifest the Plane of Water, home to the vast Sea of Worlds, the Silt Flats, the Swamp of Oblivion and the City of Ten Thousand Pearls. Lothi would construct the Plane of air, encompassing the Sirocco Straits, Labyrinth Winds, Mistral Reach and the floating city of Aaqa. Finally, Kenaroth would go on to manifest the Plane of Earth, producing The Furnaces, the Mud Hills and the City of Jewels. But of all his children, it was Antiox, the great creator, to sow into being our material plane; and the parallel planes of Shadowfell and The Feywild. However, the power behind generating these cognitive philosophical manifestations became too much for the creator and his children to bear in mind alone. Bursting from the minds of these creators, these planes that were once but a thought, began to coalesce and materialize. Together, these planes, the Inner Planes, compose the raw matter and energy that makes up our multiverse today. After the materialization of the world, life, full of raw energy and power, began to rise up out of the ashes; but as the forms of life soon learned, raw energy and power that could be taken, harnessed… even corrupted. Titans, Solar’s, Dragons and many other entities began to wrestle for the power scattered throughout each plane. Two… factions, if you will, emerged to dominate all others. These were the domain of light and the domain of dark; albeit there were some powerful enough to protect their neutrality. The two factions finally met for a confrontation in our material plane, which at the time, in the first age, was one large landmass; a Pangea. So began the War of One Thousand Suns. The destruction and hundreds of year of tireless war that followed ripped our material realm apart; so much that breaches between planes formed. These ley portals began to leak water, fire, minerals and air into our material plane. The ensuing destruction from the war and the opening of these rifts formed continents, mountains and vast seas. After each battle, the victors would absorb the power of their fallen foes, growing ever stronger. After these many years of continual conflict, only the strongest were left standing on both sides. Observing this chaos, Antiox finally interjected in the conflict with his children, and instead of destroying the very planes that they had created, banished each faction from the Inner Planes. However, these veterans of the War of One Thousand Suns came to harness such immense power derived from Antiox’ creation that they began to forge realms of their own – the Outer Planes. In short, these being became the very deities that are worshipped in the present day. On the side of the light, the sacred realm of Mount Celestia and the realms of Bytopia, Elysium, The Beastlands, Arborea and the Nordic realm of Ysgard. On the side of the dark, the chaotic realms of Limbo, Pandemonium, The Abyss, Carceri, Hades, Gehenna, Acheron and The Nine Hells were forged. Finally, those powerful enough to remain neutral formed the planes of Mechanus and Arcadia. It was within these years of peace that the material plane entered its second age. Each deity, across all planes of existence, sending their creations with their ideologies to colonize our contemporary world. *Ermion slams the book shut and says very quickly and ‘matter-of-fact’* Which leads me to conclude that the world is shaped by celestial conflict, is magical, ancient and untamed; any questions? Didn’t think so, my introduction is far too comprehensive to foster ‘questions’. Congratulations you are all now experts at historical rhetoric as outlined in The Quintessential Underpinnings of Celestial Analysis Through the History of Creation and Resource Book. Here why don’t you take a copy.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:56:44 am by mebg »

purple_towel

• Noob
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:16:34 pm »
So I take it that it's too late to join this campaign then? Because 5e is the only system I'm familiar with, and this campaign seems to be the only 5e ongoing that I can find.

mebg

• Noob
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 03:20:33 am »
So I take it that it's too late to join this campaign then? Because 5e is the only system I'm familiar with, and this campaign seems to be the only 5e ongoing that I can find.

So far we do have a full group, but I will be posting here if a spot becomes available due to someone dropping!