Author Topic: On RPGs  (Read 1995 times)

Lord Quetzalcoatl

• Wargamer
  • Aspiring Overlord and Franco-Belgian Comic Fanatic
On RPGs
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:02:15 pm »
So I'm looking to get into a tabletop RPG, but know jack-diddly-squat about them. Is there anyone out there willing to take the time to teach me the basics?

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
Re: On RPGs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »
I would suggest just dropping in on the club office in the evenings.  There is usually a tabletop roleplaying game going on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, etc.  (I think Wednesday is for board games instead).  If there is room they can fit you in and if there is not room you can ask questions about roleplaying games.  I think Monday has a specifically introductory D&D game.
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Lord Quetzalcoatl

• Wargamer
  • Aspiring Overlord and Franco-Belgian Comic Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:47:59 pm »
Alright, I'll stop by at some point in the next few days. Just another quick question, are they anything like videogame RPGs? Or are they radically different?

Floogal

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
The closest analogue would be those old text-based adventure games, but with more structure/math for fighting (like a turn-based console rpg).  So, think of it like a game where you explore, interact with people/things, figure out the plot & how to go about getting to the resolution you want.

The main advantage pencil-and-paper roleplaying games have is that rather than being precoded & run by a machine, it's preplanned & run by a (hopefully) competent & rational human being.  You can literally attempt to do anything (whether it's wise or not is another matter), and the Gamemaster (commonly abbreviated "GM") will inform you how the world reacted to your actions.