Author Topic: So how bad is it for female gamers?  (Read 2206 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
So how bad is it for female gamers?
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:15:44 am »
This has made me think I have been a bit isolated by my male privilege.  I know there is sexism in the gaming world but as a male have not directly experienced it.  I would like to think that things are better in 2012 than in the 80s/90s, but I might be fooling myself.

So what is the experience of our female gamers?  Do they face problems of harassment, sexism, etc., in the context of gaming and cons?  And what should be done to stop it?

http://www.gamermessage.com/what-is-this/
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Bunnie

• Unus Mundus
  • Veteran
Re: So how bad is it for female gamers?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »
Am I really the only female gamer still on this board? Oh well.

In the context of role-playing games, I've played with a few different groups in different corners of the continent and I'd have to say that it depends on the group. I've at times been harassed for playing a male character or for otherwise not living up to the other players' stereotypes. Some groups just behave awkwardly around me, as if I'm intruding. Other groups, I've felt perfectly comfortable in. In IRL as opposed to online, though, I tend to be harassed more for my ethnicity than my sex.

The online gaming community is generally much worse; either other players assume that I'm a male playing a female character or that I'm a terrible player because I am female (fyi I'm a terrible player because I have horrible eyesight, reaction time, and the attention span of a rodent, none of which have to do with being female). Usually I'm on the receiving end of homophobic or misogynistic slurs or just ignored entirely. I tend to only play MMO's with real-life friends because of the hostility of the online community.

Overall, though, I'd say that the harassment of female gamers is indicative of more widespread societal issues. Online anonymity makes people bolder with their views; people who, if speaking to someone face-to-face would swallow their words, have no problem being openly misogynistic online. But the gaming community, whether online or IRL, isn't an isolated community; it's a part of a wider society. And it's not so much the gaming community that needs to change; it's the society that it's part of.
The algorithms I am programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought.

webservice@growbiggerpenis.com

• Number One
  • Legendary
  • I'm dapper!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:51:37 pm »
Slightly related news: Anita Sarkeesian's first video in the 'Women vs Tropes in Video Games' series was released today.

Episode One: The Damsel in Distress - Link

For those of you who aren't aware of this project's history, it basically started off as an effort by Ms. Sarkeesian to fund a new series of short videos that would examine gender tropes in video games (a link of which is provided here: Kickstarter!). As you can imagine, many male gamers didn't take this news very well at all.

I hope you've all enjoyed this uncharacteristically serious post. I'll resume to my normal programming soon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:00:18 pm by webservice@growbiggerpenis.com »

webservice@growbiggerpenis.com

• Number One
  • Legendary
  • I'm dapper!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:24:23 pm »