Author Topic: "Paladins and Princesses" and orc babies  (Read 2313 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
"Paladins and Princesses" and orc babies
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:58 pm »
The Paladins and Princesses mode of play is basically a setting where the characters are rewarded (vs. being penalized) for doing the morally right action, where most people in town are trustworthy, where they will rarely be screwed over by their king or their innkeeper, where good can triumph over evil, etc.

This leads to what to do about "orc babies" or other paladinish dilemmas.  "You slay the evil orcs horde, and find some orc babies.  What do you do?"  Now sometimes this is used as a "no matter what, you lose!" issue (kill babies or let evil win).

What would you do, as DM, to avoid this dilemma, if running a Paladins and Princess style game?
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

sucralose

• Diligent Wargamer
Re: "Paladins and Princesses" and orc babies
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:35:30 pm »
lazy option: orcs now reproduce via osmosis!

really though I don't think its that bad to present such a dilemma to the players, even in such a game style as it can make for interesting decisions/character development. the only danger would be if people didn't agree on what to do, although i imagine that would be interesting to roleplay as well

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:48:34 pm »
I think the bad part is if the DM uses it as a "no matter what you do I screw the paladin" thing. 
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

ExQualibr

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »
I think the example as you laid it out carries the assumption that Orcs are inherently evil.  You'd expect in a world that is generally a decent and fair place, that so long as you're not an extraplanar creature of some kind, good and evil would be a choice.  In that case, it's time to found an orphanage for the poor children who have thus far been denied the righteous and true teachings of (Insert Paladin's Deity Here).