Author Topic: Pathfinder Barbarian tactics check-up  (Read 2970 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
Pathfinder Barbarian tactics check-up
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »
I am playing an elf barbarian and planning to work towards shadowdancer ASAP.  I have decided that the rage ability is best used only for minor encounters.  My rational is that fights against major encounters are more likely to bring the character to unconsciousness.  When not raging, this would mean a chance of instant death but also a chance of simple unconsciousness, and if the monster is otherwise occupied, the likelihood that I would survive.  But if raging, while I would last a few more rounds against the monster, and even have a chance of putting it down, if I were to go unconscious, my rage would instantly end, sending my already negative hit points plummeting, and making instant death much more likely.  So if I use up rage rounds only on minor encounters, I at least speed the resolution of such encounters, allowing the party to conserve their resources for the major encounter.  Does this rationale make sense?  Oh, available texts are the Pathfinder Core Book and the Advanced Players Guide (and the DM will have Bestiaries).  I was thinking of getting the feat Raging Vitality at level 9 (my con is only 13 at level 1) and the rage powers Guarded Life and Renewed Vigor at levels 2 and 4.
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
Re: Pathfinder Barbarian tactics check-up
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:59 am »
no. simply because speeding up minor fights wont mean too much too us.  If you rage and take a big hit in a minor fight, fall unconcous and then go into negative hitpoints.   It is the same as the same event happening in the larger fights.   It is up the healers who is suppose to make sure you have enough hitpoints to survive the rage drop.   Why are you... you know never mind.  I see you are channeling your inner exqualibr.   

Oh i hate to be the one to break it to you.  You are the tank of the party.   good luck.
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »
Oh i hate to be the one to break it to you.  You are the tank of the party.   good luck.

Well if that is true then you are the ones that will need the luck - I won't be there this Thursday!   ;D

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33:39 am »
you forget we are not playing Thursday
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »
Not sure if I forgot or just never knew.  Anyhow, I think I will try my "use up the rage on minor encounter" strategy and see how it goes.

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:30:32 am »
the thursday in question was your moderated jam thingie.  how did you not remember or never knew..

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 02:45:34 pm »
I knew I wasn't going to be there.  I didn't know if people (minus the one guy that was coming to the Jam and said so) would continue without me or not.