Author Topic: Houses of the Blooded  (Read 6003 times)

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
Houses of the Blooded
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:43 am »
so we have had two magical sessions so far filled with wintrigue and trauma. Mr. Wick would prefer drama and intrigue, but we haven't quite made it there yet. Still working out the kinks since most of the players don't know the rules yet. Next week we hope to map out our respective territories. I will probably pump out some speculative maps on Campaign Cartographer. It's a pretty nifty program. If you've never heard of it, take a look at it here: http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp.

What I'm thinking is that I'll start off with a few fractal based random maps and once players have decided where they want their castles to be, they can help me by decorating the landscape by saying "well, I have a mountain so I think *this* area should have my mountains." You can opt out of this too, which will let ME the narrator decide the geography of your territory, which is honestly going to be a lot of fun for me, so I don't mind.
Remember, the moon is watching.

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
Re: Houses of the Blooded
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »
I got tired of waiting for Master Spy input from Iris so I just made one.

"Where are we going so late? Where is mother and father? Mory?"

The kindly stewart was looking around the hall.

"Mory, answer me!"

Moryandal pulled the child to the side. He crouched to meet the child's gaze and put a finger to his lips for silence. Footsteps could be heard in the distance. When they passed, he rose and sighed. "I will tell you everything when we are safe, dear niece. The castle is swarming with your parents' enemies. I am to take you somewhere safe. Be strong. Be as silent as a scheme until we have escaped."

"Wait. There's a secret passage here. My parents said I should use it whenever we are in danger. Come Mory!"

The child began feeling the brickwork of the wall for a moment until there was a click. A small hole tunnel rumbled open. Barely bigger than the child, but a full grown ven could crawl through it with some trouble. They entered and were whisked away from prying eyes. An unwelcome sight greeted them as soon as they were out of the tunnel.

"No...no...no..."

The sight was too much for the child, the sight of her parents' throats slit right open. She forced her mother's sword out of cold, stiff fingers.

"Uncle Mory. You must take me to the Suaven of Revenge. NOW," even with the tears rolling down her face, Moryandal could taste the fury. It made him smile.

Moryandal embraced his dear niece and buried her face in his chest. "Shhhh, it'll be okay. We'll go to the Senate. Tell them what happened here, and when we are done there, we will find the priests of revenge. For now, rest." Moryandal drew his dagger with his free hand.

"Moryandal Sinjin, The Senate thanks you for your service to the greater cause. We agree with your evaluation that your brother was unfit to hold his lands. Due to the absence of worthy successors and with your brother's liege lord currently busy dealing with problems in his other provinces, it unfortunately falls upon US to seize control of the province and rule. You are to report to us if you find any other unfit rulers for us to consider."

Moryandal bowed and exited the chamber.

Master Spy - Moryandal Maura Sinjin
House?
Contacts?

Strength 3, Cunning 4, Courage 2, Wisdom 4, Beauty 2, Prowess 0

Aspects -

Treacherous
Forever Burning
Lead by Example

Gifts, Devotions, Artifacts
The Eye Shall Not See
The Quill
One Wound, Two Graves
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:29:19 pm by Aspie »

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:34 am »
A note on Style:

I'm writing this so everyone is on the same page. Style can be used for the following things~

Use style to refresh an Aspect that has been used. (Recall aspects are once per session normally) but you may refresh as many times as you want as long you've got the style to pay.

Use style to add temporary aspects to NPCs and/or scenes.

Use style to tag or compel aspects you know the tag/compels to.

Use 2 style to deny someone else compelling an aspect on your character.

Use style to decide a fact which would be too minor to be worth spending dice on.

Some spells, artifacts, blessings might require style of you.

Just as I reward players for certain things they say or do by granting style, you can also do the same and give style to other players if you feel they are doing something genuinely cool. Also if you give style to npcs, this suggests to me that you like where this is going so this npc should be featured more.

Now. It is my opinion that any healthy Houses of the Blooded game has a healthy economy of style in the sense that people are constantly using it in various ways so I am encouraged to give it out more freely so I am going to be trying these additional options.

If you fail to get 10 on roll but have a really cool idea you feel would be really neat, ask the player who has privilege if you can interject. The table has the right to deny your suggestion, but you won't lose style then. If the table agrees with your suggestion, spend style and add your statement. Please keep in mind, I only want this to happen when you fail to get a 10. I have no intention of letting you slap on random wagers to amplify your narrative power. I'm adding this as a failsafe for when the dice simply fuck you over.

Because we are playing an open game, I will allow for the bidding of style to other players for various possible issues. For example, let's say you all roll and the person with privilege has decided the order of narration. Offer that player style, maybe you would like to affect the order of narration. This is intended to open the favour currying on a fun fun silly willy player level since this is one of the few settings where I think some metagaming makes it much more fun. Not intended for you to overtly give a player style to give you spices or similar in-game resources. Bad form.

I'll probably come up with other random uses for style.

also this:

Gilgamesh "King of Heroes"

Aspects

There is only MEEEE

Shanri is my playground

I smell the distress of a damsel through my ears

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:53:37 am by Aspie »

Bunnie

• Unus Mundus
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »
Don't think I'm going to be able to make it this week; have an exam Thursday morning.
The algorithms I am programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought.

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:59 am »

It's coo.

Also:

"Where is the apothecary, I would have words with him!"

"I saw him at the courtyard, my lord."
"No, she speaks falsehood. He is in the study."
"You're both wrong. I saw him leave to visit the village."
"I thought he was in the kitchen because he wanted his favourite snack."

The lord sighed. "Am I surrounded by idiots? Go fetch him."

Several shameful looking servants returned. "We...could not find him my lord."

"Must we go through this every day? How hard is it to seek one old man? FIND HIM."

The apothecary bowed to the apothecary, who snickered, "I'm not the master."

The first apothecary remained knelt and replied, "Well, I must compliment you my friend, I could have sworn you were the master."

Another apothecary laughed from the back of the room. "Master, are we ready yet?"

"No," the first apothecary straightened himself. "but soon you will be."

I'll figure out aspects later.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:02:52 am by Aspie »

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:37:05 pm »
Due to the end of year event, I'm going to assume this week is off.

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:04 pm »
i'd say we continue inspite of them.
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:24:11 am »
Due to rain ruining stuff for ppl, Houses can proceed.

edit: Though, this wil depend on how busy the club room is with all the commoners about. If we are lucky, there will be enough strangglers for them to roleplay pilgrims for me~

editedit: Oh yeah, I'll be later than usual. But I may show up with a random beard or something, heh.

Vassal!

The Master of the Road felt heavier than usual today. He was acutely aware that he was leaving a steady trail of blood. Nothing too worry about, he thought to himself.

He plodded to the guard house to and one of his roadmen quickly came to him. The roadman's eyes widened as he examined the master.

"Ser, you have a claw protruding out of your chest and you're bleeding all over," the roadman peeped.

"Ahh yes. Pull that out would you? I think I dislocated my sword arm, so I can't at the moment. Actually," the Master of the Road took his left arm and there was the blistering sound of bones crying out as he forced his arm back into the socket. "Oh wait. I think I put it in wrong. You, I order you to pull my arm back out so I can get it in straight this time."

There was a gut-wrenching snap as the roadman yanked on his master's arm with all his might and then another popping sound as the master of the road rearranged his arm until he felt his sword arm was in properly this time. He gestured towards the ork claw lodged into his chest and the roadman took hold of it with both arms.

"Are you ready, Ser?"

"Aye. Pull!"

The roadman flew back as the claw was forced free, spraying blackish blood all over the place.

"Ser, shall I fetch the apothecary?"

"No, our apothecary has better things to do. Our lord will want a report. Tell him, all is quiet. His lands are safe. I will be resting in the guard house for the time being," the master of the road said while casually bandaging up his chest.

"What of the orks?"

"Well, they're dead so why include them in the report? No need to worry our lord with unimportant details like orkish invasions when they're dead," the Master of the Road yawned as he approached the guard house.

"Understood," the roadman pounded his chest and ran off to the Steel Spire.

Sorio furrowed his eyebrows and hurled a parchment into the fire, "That lazy master of the road is sleeping in the guard house again. Sometimes I wonder why I raised him up."

The Apothecary only smiled.

Aspects
I Brandish My Teeth
You call THAT a story?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:05:05 pm by Aspie »

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »
Okay, I lied. My other plans will take up way more time than previously thought. So I wouldn't be available until around 8. Sorry for the short notice but you guys can resume destroying Shanri next week.

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »
i'll bring thunderstone and we can boardgame
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »
Poor Iris. Not only did Mory's political gambit succeed, he got hilarious bonus points for it.

Been meaning to drop this sooner but forgot about it. You know him as the revolunary stirring trouble in some of the provinces. He hasn't shown up in a while but don't worry, I have big plans for him. I wanted to give Garl some teeth so his stats are slightly better than they should be and he's got some extra aspects to boot.

General. Revolutionary Commander - Garl "I wash with blood"
House? *spit*
Friends - Tzao
Contacts - Kalith

Strength 2, Cunning 3, Courage 5, Wisdom 0, Beauty 4, Prowess 3

Aspects
Man of the People
Reckless
Servant of Two Masters
I have a dream.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:08:24 am by Aspie »

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 02:30:16 am »
Wow, what an interesting session. I hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

Iris and Plue gain +1 Devotion to St. Bart. Plue for being especially supportive to the solicitors and Iris for signing a blood contract with one of the higher ranked dudes. Iris gets Blunt Force Agenda and Plue receives Stifle the Flow.

Blessings of St. Bart (I will tweak these over the next few days for balance, flavour etc. but I'm just trying to get some general ideas down.)

Bully Sect

Blunt Force Agenda: If you succeed in a contested beauty roll, you may spend a style to drop all of your wagers to steal another player's intentions and wagers who made equal or fewer wagers than you.

Sycophant Sect

Sustained Dialogue: Spend a style to give all participants in this risk who succeeded an extra wager. May not be used in duels, violence or mass combat.

Manipulator Sect

Stifle the Flow: If this is a beauty check and you succeeded, spend a style to direction the flow of narration even if you did not win. If it is not a beauty check, spend a style to decide who will use the next wager.

Was looking for interesting tidbits to use on the Houses boards and found this nifty little thing for trololololing. http://www.housesoftheblooded.net/blog/?p=198
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:25:09 am by Aspie »

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:10 am »
I suppose its time to finalize my plan for my boardwalk.

webservice@growbiggerpenis.com

• Number One
  • Legendary
  • I'm dapper!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:07:02 am »
I suppose its time to finalize my plan for my boardwalk.

Coney Island Kony Island 2012

Also, MORRRYYYAAANDAALLL HOW COULD YOOOOUUUUU

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:49:28 pm »
I will arrive at around 7. Please feel free to ponder and brainstorm with each other about how you think the grand party should look like. I believe the party will take up several sessions.

Edit: today the party learned what it is like to be a pack of wolves and troll ravens.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:46:00 am by Aspie »