Author Topic: Cosmic Encounter Homebrew Powers  (Read 14920 times)

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
Re: Cosmic Encounter Homebrew Powers
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 12:42:01 am »
Here's a fun one for big games. I need help thinking of good flares for it.

Jinx
REPLACES OTHER POWERS
You have the power of Bad Juju

You have no powers but this one. (You can't use other powers or use super flares besides the Jinx's.)
Whenever you lose an encounter, your opponent gets this power.

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »
How about:

Wild
Reaction - You may play this when another player takes cards from your hand.
Give them only this card instead.
Any Player/Any Phase
Reaction - You must play this when you draw cards.
You draw one fewer card instead.
Any Player/Any Phase
This flare may be played any number of times each encounter.

Super
Reaction - You may play this when one of your powers other than the Jinx could be used.
Discard a negotiate. If you do, use that power.
Any Player/Any Phase

Jinx
REPLACES OTHER POWERS
You have the power of Bad Juju
You cannot use or use any part of your other powers. You may not play Super flares other than the Jinx.
Any Player/Passive/Any Phase
After you lose an encounter, use this power to have your opponent take this power from you.
Main Player/Mandatory/Resolution

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »
This one's not too creative, but it's kind of weird that it doesn't exist already.

Vampire
GETS WHAT OTHERS LOSE
You have the power to Leech.

Whenever another player discards a card, use this power to draw a card from the deck that card came from.

Whenever another player's ship is lost, use this power to regroup a ship.

Wild -- Main Player or Ally/Reveal -- Cancel all reinforcements and kickers your opponent and his or her allies played this encounter.

Super -- Resolution/Main Player -- Put all cards from your opponent's hand into your hand.

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »
It's been a productive week off for me. Three new powers! I really like Kraken and Monomaniac, but I'm worried that Weed might be too powerful.

Kraken

You have the power to Shipwreck.

Before another player launches ships as the offense, if you're not an offensive ally, use this power to secretly write down a number. When the offense launches those ships, reveal the number you wrote down. If that player launched that many ships, remove those ships from the game and end the encounter.

Wild -- Alliance/Not Main Player -- After allies are invited, secretly write down a color. When alliances are formed, reveal the color you wrote down. If that player allied this encounter, destroy one of his or her ships of his or her choice.

Super -- Launch/Not Offense or Offensive Ally -- When you use your power, write down an additional number for each offensive ally. If the offense or an offensive ally sent ships equal to any of the chosen numbers, remove all ships that player sent from the game and end the encounter.

------------

Monomaniac

You have the power of Obsession.

Game Setup: Write the name of a card on a sheet of paper. You are "obsessed" with that card.

At the beginning of each other player's regroup phase and whenever another player draws cards, use this power to have that player give you the card you're obsessed with if he or she has it in his or her hand or he or she drew that card. If he or she doesn't, use this power to gain an obsession token. If he or she does, or if you draw the card you're obsessed with, discard all your obsession tokens and destroy that many ships, then choose a new card to be obsessed with instead.

Wild: Any Player/Resolution -- Look at the top five cards of the deck, put four of them on the bottom, then draw a card.

Super: Offense Only/Regroup -- Add another card to your obsession list.

-----

Weed

You have the power to Choke.

Whenever another player would regroup ships or draw cards except drawing a new hand, if you have a foreign colony in that player's home system, use this power to prevent that player from regrouping those ships or drawing those cards.

Wild -- Destiny/Defense Only -- If you have a foreign colony in the offense's home system, that player loses a ship of his or her choice, discards a card and redraws destiny.

Super -- Resolution/Not Offense -- If the offense gained a foreign colony this encounter and you have a colony in the offense's home system, establish another foreign colony in the offense's home system.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:27:55 pm by Dylan »

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:14 pm »
I've started to make proxies for our homebrews, but I'm making them in Word so they'll probably be too big. What are the dimensions for alien power sheets and normal cards? I want the proxies to be full-sized if I can figure out how.

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:02 pm »
11.5 x 17 (cm)
4 1/2 x 6 3/4 (inches)
1350 x 2025 (pixels @ 300dpi)
If you're willing to download http://www.gimp.org/ I'll send you the templates I made.
The best way I found for printing proxies in word is using columns. Set the first column to 11.5 cm, and just paste in the text.  Then all you have to do is align and format it how you want.

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
Thanks for the help! I don't think I'll use the templates, but thanks for offering.

By the way, Scott, some dink took the www.scott-wilson.ca domain name. Now it's an empty WordPress blog. Also, I'm sorry I haven't been at Connection lately. I'll print off some of the new powers for next time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:12:19 pm by Dylan »

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »
It's my empty wordpress blog. I haven't gotten around to putting it back up on the new host yet.

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 12:04:00 am »
The world is saved!

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 02:24:53 pm »
I still need the dimensions for flare cards. Also, I just realized that Kraken entirely obliterates Macron. Any suggestions for fixing this?

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »
5.6 x 8.8 cm
3 1/2 x  almost 2 1/4 inches
159 x 249 pixels @ 300dpi
and don't forget the rounded corners.

I see two workarounds for the kraken/macron issue.

1) The kraken doesn't work against the macron. Simply put "Conflicts with: Macron" at the bottom and put the workaround in the conflicts section of the rules. (Which is a thing i'm working on.)

2) The kraken allows that player to send up to 4 ships even if restricted.
"Before another player launches ships as the offense, use this power to secretly write down a number. When the offense launches those ships, they may launch up to 4, even if prevented from other game effects, and may launch additional ships from the warp if they do not have enough. Then, reveal the number you wrote down. If that player launched that many ships, remove those ships from the game and end the encounter."

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »
Second option is better, but you already knew that.

Fayth

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 08:32:56 pm »
is the kraken power mandatory?

I think it would be a bit silly if the macron power could always send up to 4 because of the kraken

also what about the leviathan?

when it launches 1 world ship does it mean it can launch 4?

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
As regards the Leviathan, I don't think that worldships towards the number of ships you send, so he shouldn't be able to send four of them.
To keep silliness to a minimum, we could make the Kraken optional and say the Macron can send extra ships only if the Kraken is using his power.

Fayth

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »
just use option 2, make it optional, and not include worldships