Author Topic: Warhammer Starter Set  (Read 7099 times)

hotdogtesting

• Veteran
Warhammer Starter Set
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:24:55 pm »
Game's Workshop has a starter set for Warhammer Fantasy.  It's about $80, which is very reasonable for two armies.  I think the club should get it for those who are interested in Warhammer.

Comments?
Theology says: "Philosophy killed God."
Philosophy says: "God kills Philosophy."

CSeraph

• > The State <
  • Legendary
Re: Warhammer Starter Set
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 12:55:00 am »
Uh. I think we might want some more details about this before even considering purchasing. How many pieces come in it? How feasible is it really as a complete game? I've seen many "starter products" that are nothing of that kind, MTG starter decks included. Is there an online link that gives details of this package?
Only what is entirely lost demands to be endlessly named: there is a mania to call the lost thing until it returns.
-Gunter Grass

Raeth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »
I'm not sure what the Fantasy pack comes with, but I know that the 40k starter pack was basically all the documentation you need and a couple of infantry squads for Space Marines and Dark Eldar.

So it's technically enough to get you to start, but only in the sort of 'the first dose is free' mentality. Sure, you can play with it, but you'll be wanting some artillery, cav, etc. before very long.
One who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger.

hotdogtesting

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:43:48 pm »
Warhammer Fantasy Starter: Battle for Skul Pass

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=305694&orignav=305694&ParentID=258561&GameNav=13

Two armies.  A full goblin and a full dwarf.  Basic rules book.  Guides and scenarios.

From a board game point of view, the box set would be a very nice addition to the club.  From a Warhammer point of view, it would introduce a lot of new players who are interested in Warhammer to the game.  From a D&D point of view, we would be getting a great number of high quality figs. :P

40K, of course, offers something similar (Space Marines vs. Tyranids):
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=304466&orignav=304466&ParentID=253741&GameNav=10

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:45:38 pm by hotdogtesting »

CSeraph

• > The State <
  • Legendary
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:35:59 am »
Looks pretty cool. There is also the issue of who would assemble and paint them - any volunteers?
Only what is entirely lost demands to be endlessly named: there is a mania to call the lost thing until it returns.
-Gunter Grass

hotdogtesting

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »
*cough*

Finally, I shall have my Proud Rainbow Dwarves!