Author Topic: LAN Centre, UBC  (Read 5480 times)

ogrish

• Noob
LAN Centre, UBC
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:23:17 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to find out if there is interest in a LAN Center in the UBC area. Obviously there is a large student population in the area and this website proves people game as well.

Can anyone give any input as to the interest in this from a students point of view? What things would be important to a paying customer, who is also a student? Would there be any interest to have a quiet "student" area that also served bubbletea and/or coffee? Would tournaments be a big deal? I would want to be active in the school if possible, and would want support from gaming clubs and would offer deals to them as well, are there such clubs/groups (how can i reach them?)

Please feel free to leave comments/suggestions or just let me know if this sort of thing sounds fun to you. I know the Vancouver area has LAN centers already, but i cant seem to find or understand why there isn't one in UBC.

Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

Have a good one!

Ogrish

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
Re: LAN Centre, UBC
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »
Several years ago, we had the student arcade in the Student Union Building. It featured fairly recent arcade machines, personally it's where I got my Guilty Gear fix, in addition there were a number of computers for lanning purposes. The student arcade was scrapped in favour of more offices and rooms for booking. While I do not know what the financial status of the student arcade was, the impression I got was basically the vermin in student government did not feel like managing it or some such and eliminated it to show their "fiscal responsibility" or some nonsense.

As for gaming tournaments, the competitive video gaming club are the ones to ask for that.

We certainly have bubble tea in the SUB but it sounds like you want to create a bubble tea cafe unsure of the feasibility of such a thing on campus heh.
Remember, the moon is watching.

Deviant

• Legendary
  • Usurped Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »
My understanding is that there was an AMS run arcade in the basement of the sub a decade ago, but when they first renovated the sub I believe it was taken over as a private business.  I think they eventually lost their lease as the AS wanted more rooms/office/kitchens to be put into the area occupied by the arcade.

Things that would be important to a paying customer would be top of the line gaming rigs that can run games like Starcraft 2 at high speeds on the highest graphical setting, games they might not be able to play on their own computers.

I think their is always a market for affordable food on campus.  As a general rule students are poor, and thus as a general rule students are cheap.  If you can undercut the prices of other food retail establishments in the sub you are almost guaranteed to have business. Also if you can provide a genuinely filling (Large) meal for under 5$ at a decent quality level, you will have people lined up at lunch times during the school year.

Study areas will always be used, but may not be directly profitable.
"I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made, you're screwed. Thank you. Bye."

-Iain

ogrish

• Noob
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »
i wasn't thinking something run by students or by a student government so much, i was thinking more along the lines of an actual private business. i know there was a gaming center called netopia, but it was shut down because of some legal troubles. if there is a competitive gaming community in UBC would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to find them online?
i know there is a market to tap into in UBC, im just doing some research and making sure i talk to people that in into gaming and such to get a feel for how strong the gaming community is.

thanks in advance.

(and yes cheap food would be a BIG part of the center!)

Ogrish

v3ck

• ‹bermensch
  • Legendary
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »
I assume that there isn't a LAN centre because most gamers have laptops and play on UBC wireless.

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »
Presumably he would be catering to those who do not have such a thing, heh.
Remember, the moon is watching.

Rubycheeks Loveglow

• Veteran
  • Master of the East Wind
    • Transistor Glamor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
I'd love to see arcade cabinets, personally. Of course, the kinds I'd wanna see probably wouldn't be too popular, lol.

Generals

• Wargamer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:04:11 pm »
If you do managed to run a LAN centre in UBC, feel free to share it with the people in LAN Party EH:

http://www.lanpartyeh.com/