Author Topic: Warhammer  (Read 2693 times)

Slackermagee

• Diligent Wargamer
Warhammer
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:15:59 pm »
Well, I know we have at least two people who can play on campus (myself, Shaun as Tau, and... someone who's name I always forget who can perhaps play Imperial Guard) and rabid interest in the general fluff/universe from a great many other people in the form of: constant quotations, flash animation addiction, obscenely detailed knowledge of Legion/faction fluff, and one or two RPG groups going full tilt. 

Now, I know that a 1000 point 40k army is a pretty chunk of change (something on the order of $300 new), but 500 point armies can be brought up with as little as $150.  Also, two 350ish armies can be had (SPEHSS MAREENZ and Orks) in the current starter box for $105, plus rules, dice, templates, and maybe some basic terrain if memory serves. 

Would anyone be in favor of the club buying one starter for general use to help gauge interest in further delving into the grim, bloody worlds of the 41st millennium? 

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
Re: Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:14 am »
Well, the club does have a fair bit of models in off-campus storage. Mostly donations from those who used to play but are no longer with us. Personally wanted to run a Mordheim campaign which never got off the ground, since personally I'm more on the fantasy side of things. As for purchases using club funds like that, you should take that up with the new treasurer when elections conclude methinks, heh.
Remember, the moon is watching.

A Humble Wizard

• Wargamer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:11:40 am »
Unfortunately I sold most of my 40K stuff a few weeks ago. However, I still have a barely opened Tyranids Battleforce (I think everything is still on sprues) and quite a bit of an unpainted fantasy Kislevite army (though I think I sold Boris, the polar bear riding general) if anyone wants. I've also various bitz that people can pillage.

There IS Inquisitor if people don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money. 1+ large scale model is all that's needed (I've an unpainted daemon hunter somewhere), in addition to some kick-ass multi-story scenary. Or, you can do what I did my last year: make a cardboard army, 3D models made of X-(top)cross sectioned cuttouts. Sort of like that giant wolf statue that you see entering Westside after coming off the bridge. It's great for Guard armies of 200+ infantry, and can either stand in for an actual army while it's being painted/built, or to test ideas before buying armies (five Carnifaxi or 6 Dreadnaughts may SOUND like fun, but I'd rather playtest it than spend absurd amounts of money only to find it falls to pieces). In addition, it means games of Apocalypse played with dozens of shoebox Baneblades! I've got Imperial Guard infantry templates for nearly every weapon configurations, including heavy weapon squads and most, if not all, of a standard Leman Russ (complete with removable weapons!).
I was in town for only another two months and had neither the time nor the money to paint three hundred guardsmen.

I retain all of my rules and background books, ranging from a first edition (I think) Ravening Hoards book to two (I think) fourth edition core books (I think the game is 5th Ed. now) to the first (and only?) four Index Astarte books and Space Marine Insignia Codex. There are boxes... filled with books... lining the garage wall... Mordheim can be found for free online.

Deviant

• Legendary
  • Usurped Leader
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:00:51 pm »
I left some terrain I made from my 40K playing days with the club when I left.  It's not amazing, but very serviceable. It should still be one of the cupboards.

I also have a bunch of old models I would be willing to sell, if anyone is interested.
"I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made, you're screwed. Thank you. Bye."

-Iain

Slackermagee

• Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
Cardboard 40k is actually a great idea.  That and I can haul my Tau down and just divide it in two for a day, have two 500 point games churn out. 

Anyone up for either of these two cheaper ideas?

Also: anyone have access to the donation stuff that we can haul out for a 40k day?

Ascendant Hero

• Legendary
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:36:56 am »
I still have all of my warhammer stuff. I much prefer the fantasy game but I have pieces for all 3 main games if people wanted to play.

Fantasy- Skaven Army, Wood Elf Army, WIP 100% converted tombkings, assorted lizardmen and chaos.
40K- Space Marine Army, Tau Battleforce+, a few random guard units
LotR- Fellowship, Waiths, Saruman, assortment of good and evil soldiers (Uruk-Hai, Orcs, Elves, gondor, 6 wargs,)- not a lot of focus.
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" - Jane Austin

Legacy and Cube- the true formats of Magic

Kamigawa

• Legendary
  • Don't you mess with my Kamigawa.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »
I didn't know people were interested in this.

I have 2,000 point of Ultramarines and 750 points of Black Legion. Also I have 1,000 points of Dark Eldar (like 750 points of that is Wych squads though, go figure)

I stopped playing around the time that the Eye of Terror campaign was starting up. Apparently Abaddon dies at the end of it or something? fucking lame.

Actually, come to think of it, I have zero interest in playing 40k again... But I can potentially let people use the marines if they feel like it.