Author Topic: A character I probably won't get to play  (Read 34494 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
Re: A character I probably won't get to play
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2015, 10:06:38 pm »
I am running a 5th ed D&D game and it rocks on toast!  I hope someday to play in one.

Until then, here is something I would like to try:  A half-orc Barbarian! (gasp!).

Well whaddaya know!  I got to play one!  Actually his close cousin, a goliath barbarian, but I think that works better (I probably would have originally posted goliath if that had come out early enough).  Instead of greataxe I went with shield and warhammer, which probably saved the character's life.  We'll see how long the campaign lasts but hey, I got to play one of the characters I talk about on this thread!  Woot!
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
Remember, the moon is watching.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 08:59:05 am »
Yet another 7th Sea character, this time inspired by a mix of The Bourne Identity and Fawlty Towers' Manuel.  He washes up onshore with an ugly wound to the back of the head and no memory.  He slowly regains skills and abilities (so experience points are spent to regain these) and comes to realize that, based on what he can do, he was probably not a nice person.  But he doesn't remember his past, his family, or even his name.

So, Castille, max out traits (80 points), Foul-Weather Jack (5 points) gives background Amnesia 4 (free), Academy (4), University (2), Skills: Courtier, Criminal, Sailor, Spy, Athlete, Dirty Fighting, Fencing, Riding, Wrestling (9).  Speaks Castille (free).  No virtue/hubris, no card draws for background.

There is a comedy element too (unless someone else speaks Castille too, there will be a lot of gesturing and misunderstanding) because it is 7th Sea so it won't be *that* dark.  Eventually he will pick up other languages (again, I am going on the conceit that some of them he knew in his former life).  Aside from that, most xp would be spent on knacks (again, with the idea of regaining knowledge).  When confronted with his dark past, does he embrace it once more, or reject it utterly?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:04:36 am by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2015, 12:33:39 am »
I was paging through Mutants and Masterminds and reflecting on Futurama and came up with a Hypnotoad Dude, a human-sized bipedal toad creature with mind control powers.

toughness 15 (very rubbery, very hard to hurt) (30)
will/parry/dodge 5 (that said, he can avoid the riff-raff) (15)
Expertise (something or other) (everyone needs a job, right?) 10 (5)
fearless (just because) (1)
leaping 7 (he is a toad-man, after all - capped at 7 for simplicity as things get weird for timing if you leap further). (7)

affliction: mind control 10 (alt. effect) (all hail the hypnotoad!) (61)
a)single target, perception ranged, cumulative, progressive
b)cone, range close, area +4

The character is incomplete.  For one thing, at PL 10 he still has 31 points to spend.  For another, I haven't fleshed out background stuff, complications, etc.  But it was kicking around my head.  If others have ideas on how to spend the 31 extra points feel free to post here.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2016, 12:39:01 pm »
I thought about the Sapphire Hierarch (from 3.5 D&D's Magic of Incarnum) again, but this time was wondering if I can capture that feel in 5th edition.  I think I can.

Take the alternate human race, cleric class with the knowledge domain, take the "skilled" feat to get extra skills and the Hermit background.  This should give a host of skills, which will fit.  From Religion, Medicine, Arcana (x2), History (x2), Insight, Perception, Stealth, Persuasion, Investigation and Nature.

The "discovery" of the hermit would be that the Eidolon, a gift from [insert LN god of Knowledge here] to mortals, will be better able to predict the future the more esoteric knowledge is gathered and brought to it.  Thus the Sapphire Hierarchs have a holy duty to find rare pieces of knowledge throughout their careers and eventually return it to the monastery where the Eidolon sits.

Start with stats at int 13, wis 15, con14, others 10, increase wis and int (eventually to 20).

And viola, the 5th edition Sapphire Hierarch returns (and I would even get to play him from 1st level as such)!  Now of course you don't get all the mechanics of the 3.5 version, but 5th edition is slimmed down for a reason, after all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:16:46 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
I guess I keep going back to the Crusader.  It is a nice fit for my style of play and the powers have an interesting random mechanic.  I might change the name, though . . .

Anyhow, I was thinking of a Dwarven Crusader that takes Martial Study/Martial Stance 3x each (and Extra Granted Maneuver) in order to get some variety (so some Desert Wind at 1st level to get a free flank to self or another, leading to the stance at 3rd giving resistance (and eventual immunity) to fire, then eventually a move action self-teleport (50' only and need line of effect and sight, but still) and a spider climb stance, and then a +level to save maneuver and finally the "I don't actually die" stance (one flaw of the Crusader is that you need to multi-class or take a feat to get access to their top level stances.  The feat at first level lets me take tumble as a class skill, and dwarves don't slow down in armour in 3.5 so that means tumbling in heavy armour!

Maybe a dwarf that was told by his god to join a circus and watch out for a "chosen one" to protect as a starting adventure seed . . .

I do like that all the feats come out of the same book as the class.  Makes things nice and neat.

Alas, with an infant to take care of it will be a while before I can play this one, and who knows how popular 3.5 D&D will even be by then?  Not that this stopped me from planning out maneuvers from 1st to 20th level.  ;)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2016, 11:53:51 pm »
There is a 5th edition D&D character that I won't play because likely it is hilariously unbalanced and few dms would allow it.  But a long time ago there was this "card and booklet" fighting game called Lost Worlds (you might want to look it up - it was quite interesting really), and in it you played warrior types that duelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Worlds_(gamebook)

One of those booklets was "skeleton with scimitar and shield", probably inspired by the harryhausen-style skeletons in the old Hercules and Sinbad movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiTSyZbIjAg

Anyhow, on p. 282 of the DMG there is a table for various monsters as NPC races.  One of those entries is the Skeleton.  Horrible int/chr, good dex, darkvision, mute, doesn't neet to eat/sleep/breathe, immune to poison damage and to being poisoned . . . and to exhaustion.

That last is golden for a barbarian that takes the berserker path, since the key flaw to that path is getting a level of exhaustion, such levels being so brutal in 5e that it severely limits that paths's frenzy ability (its most attractive feature).

So I could see the skeleton berserker as a whirling dervish type.  And yes skeletons are evil, but here is where the "essence of PCness" comes to the rescue and just as there is a certain famous "one good drow" I imagine there could be a certain "one good skeleton" (if the dm allowed a pc skeleton at all, I don't this alignment would be a problem).

Anyhow, after racial modes, maybe level 1 would be str/dex/con 15, wis 10, int/chr 4.  No feats, just improve str.con, then str twice, then con twice.

Background . . . hmmmm . . . that could require some speciality background.  Sailor might work (perhaps with a sailor/pirate background (bad reputation more for being a skeleton than for being a pirate, but still)?  That could hit a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, as long as I am collecting movie-skeleton memes.  Probable skills: athletics, acrobatics, perception and stealth.

Not sure how being turned would work for a pc skeleton, but there is probably a way to wing it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:06:57 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »
Playing a paladin in Pathfinder now, which makes me wonder how I would play an assassin in a party with a paladin. 

Well the nice thing about pathfinder is that you don't detect as evil until you are level 5.  This gives me some breathing room so long as I have a high bluff skill and don't do anything obviously evil (nothing in front of the paladin, nothing that could get back to the paladin).  Fortunately assassins favour intelligence.

However, by the time I take the assassin class I would be character level 6.  The solution?  Get the "undetectable alignment" spell.  Two ways to do this in core: 1 level of bard or 3 levels of cleric.  I think the latter would give me an "aura of evil" at 1st level, too early for me to get the spell to hide it (if the spell can even hide auras - I am not sure of that), so bard it is.

What about the other 4 levels pre-assassin?  I kinda like the monk.  4 levels of that gets you good saves and your hands act as magic weapons, which is a nice touch.  And an assassin with no obvious weapons can just be a servant in the background.

Anyhow that fixes the alignment in stone: LE (another nice thing about pathfinder - bards can be any alignment).

For race I like the half-elf: it has two favoured classes, and I like the "doesn't fit in either world" idea as a background.  And the skill focus racial feat could be for perception which added to keen senses adds a wallop.  For traits let's go for 'resilient' (shores up a slightly weaker save) and 'poverty-striken' (I don't otherwise get survival as a class skill, so useful) - yes, this hardened killer had a poor deprived childhood.  Society is to blame, I tell ya. ;)

What about the assassin prereq?  Well one thing that bothered me is "must kill someone for no other reason than to join the assassin's guild" but then there is nothing saying I couldn't have done that before starting my adventuring career.  Especially if I start with monk (a secret monastery of monk-assassins seems movie-riffic somehow).  So, Monk for three levels, then a level of bard, then the 4th level of monk, and then assassin from levels 6-15.  After that, maybe Master Spy just to keep the Death Attack DC going up.

I sorta see this character joining the party by finding the most noble-looking or leader-type of the other pcs and trying to sign on as a servant/butler/jeeves type.  Be useful.  Serve loyally.  If I can't convincingly fake LG, I might at least pull off LN. 

To add to the usefulness maybe take the feat breadth of experience (half-elves have elven blood so can take feats that elves can take).  I think maybe the Court Bard archetype would be amusing (instead of buffing allies, I would slightly debuff enemies by saying "How *dare* you attack my master/mistress, you horrible, horrible people" in my best Baby Stewie voice.

Now eventually someone's going to realize I am casting undetectable alignment every day.  When that happens, I need to have a good story about it being a family tradition of privacy (in my best butler voice) and hope that works.

So those are my thoughts so far.  I haven't thought too hard about my other bard spell or any of the cantrips.  But if I choose Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation as cantrips and Expeditious Retreat as my other level 1 spell, I don't require any focus or material components, which is nice.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:36:20 pm by Particle_Man »

Floogal

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:40 am »
Main problem I can see is that it's not 100% clear how Undetectable Alignment interacts with Detect Evil.  Do you ping as "no Evil found here" or "can't determine alignment" (the latter of which would arouse suspicion)?

Really, I wouldn't bother with hiding your alignment at all.  Just say that you're travelling with the group because of a vision or religous command or something, you should be able to bluff the Paladin and convince him/her that you won't be trouble, if anything simply so that you can get done whatever you need to get done as soon as possible and go home.  Any Paladin worth their salt would be giddy at the thought of being able to reform an unwilling evil ally over time.

Don't forget the feat Ability Focus (Death Attack), from the bestiary.  GM should allow it.

As for Assassin itself, the prestige class mostly amounts to Death Attack, poison use, and Rogue abilities.  If Death Attack is mostly what you want, consider the following build that isn't quite so amazing at killing, but is much better at infiltrating:

Urban Druid 6 / Assassin 1 / Master Spy 10 / ???
- At-will humanoid shapechanging at level 6 is amazing.  If you need a weapon, try a lizardfolk or something with natural weapons; probably your best combat form, 3 attacks at your highest BAB (all of which can get sneak attack).
- Repose or Knowledge domains would contain spells/abilities most useful, I'd think.
- Death Attack is delayed until level 7, and DC is one-lower than pure Rogue/Assassin build as a result.
- At character level 9, you can change your apparent alignment to whatever you want at will.  Perfect if joining the Paladin party after level 8, or otherwise you can convince him/her you genuinely reformed from evil.

- After finishing Master Spy, take more levels of Assassin to increase the Death Attack DC, or more levels of Druid to be able to Death Attack while wildshaped as a dog or pony or something.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:01 am »
I would assume that undetectable alignment simply hides the alignment, so that detect evil would say "no evil found here".  Otherwise undetectable alignment would not be a very useful spell.

Ability focus is interesting, thanks!

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2016, 10:14:39 am »
I was too sick to game,  :'(  so, as I sometimes do to amuse myself, I rolled stats as if for a character (in Pathfinder, as that was the game I was missing). I got, I kid you not, the following with 4d6 drop the lowest:

18, 4, 18, 3, 16, 8.

If I rolled that for real I would be very tempted to put the 3 in Con, take an Elf, and see how long I could survive with a Con 1 character. In a way it would be very old school. There would be no negative hit points to worry about - as soon as I got below 0 hp I would be dead. And I wouldn't have to keep track of con poison damage or drain - as soon as I lost even 1 Con I would be dead. It would make Raistlin seem like Rasputin in comparison!   :)

Floogal

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2016, 09:04:58 pm »
Might as well make it a Wizard or Sorcerer.  No need to roll for HP each level (since it would be d6 - 5, minimum 1; i.e. always 1).

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2016, 09:32:02 pm »
Another idea I have that would likely be suboptimal but stylish.  A Pathfinder fighter/duellist sylph.

The idea being go for scimitar (there's a feat for this, see below) and the whirlwind attack feat tree, plus weapon finesse and improved initiative by level 6.  Then go duellist and take all the sylph racial feats (some of which are amazing, like fly at will, and some are weird but ok, like see through fog, and one of which is a "get the party out of trouble" plane shift to the elemental plane of air . . . but you have to find your own way back to the Prime Material Plane). 

edit: Well well, there are some useful things out there in pathfinderland.  The Dervish Dancer feat allows one to do duellist things with a scimitar and also allows one to use dex instead of str for attacks/damage with it.  The lore warden archetype gives me back the feat I would lose since I need combat expertise to get whirlwind attack.  I would also take the Focused Weapon feature of Advanced Weapon Training at level 19.  This would make the scimitar be a d8 weapon at level 19 and a d10 weapon at level 20. Although I must admit I don't expect to play at such exalted levels so this is just for the crafting of the character more than anything else.

This would not be a high damage build (it would be ok, but not great) and would require high int and dex (which to be fair sylph gives).  I could see it as a spring attack annoyance (assuming there are other fighter types to hold the line while I nip in, sting the foe, and nip out) and occasional whirlwind against a hoard of lesser foes (although that might combine interestingly with the parry/riposte of the duellist at higher levels, now that I think on it).

After 16th I don't have a strong feel for the character, I guess I would round out the scimitar feats: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Improved Critical.

For racial abilities I would trade out the lightning resistance 5 for the +5 movement rate, and the air magic stuff for the bonus to ac vs nonmagical ranged attacks/occasional trip.  I'd keep the feather fall as a racial ability (both because at low levels I might need it and at higher levels when I can fly I could still save others with it).

There were some sylph traits but I didn't see much in them that I liked.  I would go for one giving me +2 init (might as well max that out - maybe it will counter my horrible dice luck when it comes to initiative rolls) and the follower of sarenrae one that give 2 fire damage on crits with scimitars (if I am going to use this weapon I might as well get the only trait that requires one to use this weapon).

Anyhow, I may play this one day if the dice gods are kind and other players are tolerant of my non-optimization.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:13:46 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 11:23:49 pm »
I am playing Pathfinder now, so am thinking of some concepts (maybe I will play one of them, but it is unlikely I will play *all* of them).

One would be a sylph fighter/duellist, going for whirlwind attack + lunge as well as the sylph racial feats (which include flight by level 9).  Also, would take a feat that lets one use dex mod instead of str mod for attack and damage with scimitars and lets one do duellists stuff with that weapon.  Probably would worship Sarenrae.

Another would be an ifrit sorcerer (celestial bloodline, wishcrafter archetype) - basically I get a higher caster level if someone else as an immediate action says "I wish for X" and I have a spell I can cast that does X.  I can only help each person once per 24 hours, and I have to have a relevant spell, of course.  It gets hinky at higher levels (I can make someone save or blurt out their deepest wish, which of course I can then grant, but perhaps in a twisted fashion which they have a penalty to save vs.).

Now that "prestigious spellcaster" is a feat, I could see a sorcerer/dragon disciple doing quite well.  For a feat tax of 4 feats, I would retain full caster progression!

Another option for whirlwind attack/lunge would be someone with a reach weapon.

Another interesting rules resolution by Pathfinder means that half-orcs can take feats that have a racial requirement of human.  Such as the Racial Heritage feat, which lets one take feats normally restricted to yet another race.  So . . . imagine a half-orc whose human side has a little kobold in it (and that kobold perhaps intermixed with green dragon if one goes back far enough).  This half-orc replaces the racial ability Ferocity with Toothy for a bite attack.  Then this Fighter would take the feats: Racial Heritage (kobold), Draconic Aspect (green), Draconic Breath, Noxious Bite, Draconic Glide, Draconic Paragon for the non-combat feats through 11th, and Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Lunge for the combat feats through 12th.  Another alternative is to go Barbarian or Bloodrager instead of fighter, if one want to max out the DC and duration of noxious bite (which can nauseate opponents) vs. gaining more noxious bites if surrounded by foes.  Either way it would take a while for all the pieces to come together, but once it does it would be quite interesting!

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2017, 09:02:12 pm »
Another thought is to just go heavy on the natural attacks for the kobold:

Start with a kobold (natch) and modify to get the bite attack (sadly losing the armour). Probably going to trade away the darkvision and light sensitivity too (low light vision is . . . ok).  Maybe get wild forest runner for a pereception boost, or maybe get the gliding wings early.

Unchained Rogue class to start with, and one of the talents will be the one that makes sneak attacks cause bleed damage.

Feats: Draconic Aspect (1), Draconic Breath (3), Noxious Bite (5).

For Rogue talents get Bleeding attack at level 2 and combat feat (tail terror) at level 4.

Now take two levels of ranger, going for the natural attack route:

Feats: Aspect of the Beast (claws) (Ranger bonus feat at 7), Flensing Strike (7).

Then take one level of Witch (White Haired Witch archtype). Then back to unchained Rogue unless I can think of something better.

Feats: Eldritch Claws (9), kobold precision (11).  The first lets me beat magic and silver DR with natural attacks, the second is a kobold feat that gives an extra 1d6 to sneak attacks to opponents that are nauseated (remember that noxious bite can nauseate victims if they fail their saves!), among other conditions.

At this point I have 4 primary natural attacks (bite/claw/claw/hair) and one secondary natural attack (tail). All with sneak attack and a chance of a nauseating bite.

After that it is a long slog to get wing attacks but I will slog:

A rogue talent at level 13 (10 levels of rogue) gets me a feat and I can get draconic glide with it and then the regular level 13 feat can be draconic paragon.  This get me wings to fly with but not wing attacks.

Level 15 I take skill focus (fly).  Level 17 I take Powerful wings (assuming I can get str 13 somehow - hopefully not impossible by this level, even for a kobold).  Now I have wing attacks (secondary but what the heck).  So primary: bite/claw/claw/hair and secondary wing/wing/tail

As I now have three secondary attacks, it makes sense to get the multiattack feat at level 19.

I am presuming a very resource-poor campaign with little "down time" so I cannot depend on either making or finding magic weapons (a kobold tail attachment would be nice . . .).

For racial traits I am thinking of wild forest runner, day raider (as well as draconic bite).

For traits maybe the magical lineage one (raised by a witch, so I would be a 3rd level caster when I get that witch level, plus it could explain why a kobold even *has* white hair) and adopted (half-orc raised by orcs), and finish the fight.   

Other rogue talents? Well Sacred Sneak Attack looks good, as does  Minor Magic (Acid Splash does well wish sneak attack in the surprise round at range). At the higher levels, Crippling Strike, Unwitting Ally and Opportunist all look pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:37:21 pm by Particle_Man »