Author Topic: A character I probably won't get to play  (Read 34497 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
R: chrctr prbbly wn't gt t ply
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »
Slight change to skills (and I counted them wrong anyhow). No points in spot, listen, Know(religion) or Tumble. Instead Learn Terran, Ignan, Auran and Aquan then a skill trick (Collector of Stories) (for levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5-6). Then top up Knowledge (planar) levels 7-12). Then learn 4 more skill tricks (Timely Misdirection, Group Fake-Out, False Theurgy and Swift Concentration).

Also, at level 21 finish off Fiend-Blooded (immune to poison!), take Energy Resistance as the 21st level feat, and then at levels 22+ go for Cosmic Descryer prestige class (which seems to fit the character very well indeed! I didn't even plan it that way as I usually don't look at the epic stuff).
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Particle_Man

• Legendary
Re: A character I probably won't get to play
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:19 am »
Hmmm . . . the practiced spellcaster feat would be good to take, once I hit the cosmic descryer class (it has half-advancement as a caster, which isn't too bad once I hit 20th caster level but still).  Level 24 feat I guess. :)

Anyhow, here is the spell list (I am assuming that the sorcerer ability to trade out spells does not carry over into any of the prestige classes).  Spells are taken in the order shown.

0th: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Disprupt Undead (replace with Dancing Lights at level 4), Read Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message, Mending.
1st: Benign Transposition (SC), Color Spray (replace with SM I at level 6), Grease, Mage Armor, Feather Fall.
2nd: SM 2, Invisibility, Rope Trick, See Invisibility, Glitterdust.
3rd: SM 3, Haste, Phantom Steed, Magic Circle vs. Evil.
4th: SM 4, Blood Star (SC), Solid Fog, Dimensional Anchor.
5th: SM 5, Lesser Planar Binding*, Mass Fly (SC), Wall of Force, Greater Dimension Door (SC).
6th: SM 6, Snow Song** (FB), Planar Binding*, Ruby Ray of Reversal (SC), True Seeing.
7th: SM 7, Fire Storm**, Project Image, Wall of Eyes (BoVD).
8th: SM 8, Mass Death Ward ** (SC), Greater Planar Binding*, Superior Invisibility (SC), Mind Blank.
9th: SM 9, Monstrous Thrall** (SC), Gate, Shadow Landscape** (SC), Abyssal Rift (FC 1).

* Added to spells known via Malconvoker.  Not that I will use them much but I took Dim. Anchor and Prot. from Evil, just in case.
** Added to spells known via Fiend-Blooded (note that they are not from sor/wiz spell lists).  Snow Song is a buff with nice weather fluff.
SC: Spell Compendium
FB: Frostburn
FC I: Fiendish Codex
BoVD: Book of Vile Darkness (to be honest I haven't got this book nor read the full spell description, but it sounds cool).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:54:16 am by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »
Here's a nice core-only one for 3.5.  Pixie Ranger (archery route).  Nice ranged warrior.  Note the MM errata gives alertness as an extra feat and changes weapon finesse to a bonus feat.  It also takes away polymorph as a spell-like ability, but that is a tangled issue in 3.5 so I am not sorry not to have to deal with that.

Normally I stay away from rangers but woodlands classes fit woodlands races and there is good synergy here.  Sleep arrows make up for less damage.  No con loss, heck of a dex boost, shame about the str loss but not too bad.  Flyby attack makes for a nice feat at low levels.

Hmmm . . . I will ponder this more later.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »
It has been a while.  So I might as well post some ideas for new characters.

For 4e D&D, I wouldn't mind trying a fey-pact warlock again.  Apparently, the Eladrin race has been errata'd to allow for +Int, +Cha, which is great for a feylock.  I would max out Cha, then drive Int as high as I could as an even number, then go for Con (hp are always nice) I think.  Powers and items and feat choices would be driven by the fey warlock angle (the eladrin teleport feat is a good one too).  The paragon path would be the fey one in the Player's handbook, and similarly the epic destiny would be the feyliege from arcane power, if such is allowed.  I have no idea if the character would be powerful or not, but it would have a theme.  And it would teleport a heck of a lot.  :)  Alignment Good.

On to Pathfinder, I am intrigued by the Witch class in the Advanced Player's Guide and wish to subscribe to its Newsletter.  I think an Elf witch with the bat familiar (named "Bruce") would be cute.  Max out int and insofar as one can, as well as dex and con.  Skills would be knowledge (arcana, nature, planes), perception, sense motive, spellcraft, and 4 ranks of stealth followed by fly at 5th level (I would take more stealth as int upgrades permit).  If traits are allowed, I would go for Birthmark (a bat, giving an additional +2 vs. enchantments)) as well as a +2 initiative booster (Warrior of Old).  The favoured class bonus would go to skill points for maxing out Escape Artist (just in case).  Feats would be mostly Extra Hex (might as well "witch out" but at 9th, 13th, 15th and 17th level I would instead go for spell penetration and greater sp, improved initiative, and defensive combat training in order to key combat maneuver defense off of level rather than BAB.

Hexes?  Cackle, Charm, Evil Eye, Fortune, Flight, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber, Tongues, Agony, Hag's Eye, Major Healing, Retribution, Waxen Image, Eternal Slumber, Forced Reincarnation, & Life-Giver.

Spells?  Not sure about most, but Web, Black Tentacles and Flesh to Stone would be up there.  There would be some spells known from the patron (Agility) including Freedom of Movement (yay!).

Min height (5'6"), minimum weight, not sure about male or female yet.  Chaotic Good (natch).  Languages: Common, Elven, Celestial, Draconic, Gnome, Orc, & Sylvan (the Tongues hex will help here, but I won't be getting that hex first).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:56:13 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
I think an Elf witch with the bat familiar (named "Bruce") would be cute. 

VERY cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkeSSdwbnPg&feature=player_embedded

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »
Another idea:  Mutants and Masterminds.  A cat named Schrodinger.  He is back and he is angry!  :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378688_331612236868236_205344452828349_1243311_1451515048_n.jpg

Becky

• Legendary
  • Delicious Narcissism.
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »
Another idea:  Mutants and Masterminds.  A cat named Schrodinger.  He is back and he is angry!  :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378688_331612236868236_205344452828349_1243311_1451515048_n.jpg
hahaha

Just looked for the Like button for this. This is the best idea ever.
Next time I play a wizard maybe I will name him Schrodinger and give him a cat familiar. Can they have cat Familiars? I have no idea but will do it anyway.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:30 am »
I have another one, this time due to edition changes.

I was looking over the illusionist in the 1st edition AD&D player's handbook.  And I noted that the character changes, often for the worse, with every additional book. 

With Unearthed Arcana, the illusionist gets new spells, but that includes read illusionist magic, which suddenly they need to read all other spells.  Also, their high level feature of casting some 1st level magic-user spells gets somewhat devalued as more magic-user spells are given, but not added to the list of spells illusionists can cast.  On the up side, there are cantrips and some magic items and rules on spell books and slightly higher level limits for gnomes. 

In 2nd edition, illusionist spell lists are no longer separate from magic-user spell lists.  Now the illusionist loses out big time, as in 1st edition they had spells no one else got, and had spells at lower levels than other classes that got them (Maze at 5th level, for instance).  Also, the magic-users and illusionists share the same xp and hp track now.  This gives the illusionists an extra d4 hp (but they would have gotten 1 hp anyhow at 11th level) but costs the illusionist in level gain, as at high levels illusionists go up every 220k xp, while magic-users went up every 375k xp.

In 3rd edition/pathfinder illusionists are definitely simply a type of wizard.  And their shadow monsters line of spells seems to pale in comparison to the same level summon monster X spells.

So I already said I wanted a 1st ed illusionist/assassin dual class, but now I would be happy just to try a human illusionist in 1st ed, without unearthed arcana.  Just phb, dmg, mm, mmII and fiend folio.  Or maybe not even the latter two books as they introduce many races that are flat out immune to illusions, not to mention the "super-high intelligence" rule that makes INT 19+ characters also immune to various levels of illusion spells!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:51:21 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:06 pm »
Another one for D&D 3.5, as that is the campaign I am in.  It is a thought for a "temporary replacement" character, should the need arise.  We are journeying to a humanocentric lawful land, so I thought I would try this core-only option:

Ranger 5/Horizon Walker 8 (to 10).  Human.  Lawful Good.  Animal Companion (owl trained with the guard suite).  feats: Alertness, Stealthy, Improved Init, Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Iron Will.  (30 point buy + 3 upgrades gets me) str 18, dex/con/int 14, wis 12, chr 8 (scar and a tobacco chew/spit habit?).  Spells: Resist Energy, then (when HW levels are done and we are back to ranger levels) Alarm, Protection from Energy.  Favoured enemies: ???Giants and Dragons, maybe?

Use the HW abilities for +4 to the "fab four" (Hide, MS, Spot, Listen), darkvision, resist fire/cold 20, dimension door every 1d4 rounds, and later tremorsense 30' and alignment immunities.

Skills: max out "fab four", know (geography), survival, ride.  Ranger levels also put remaining ranks in know (dungeoneering) and know (nature). 

No ideas on magic equipment, but a str comp. long bow, battle axe and buckler seem good, and some light armour. 

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »
This one is a concept that I can't even think of a system for as a pc.  Maybe just an npc concept?

One of God's 6 younger siblings, curious about the world God has made, is allowed to incarnate inside the world, subject to a few restrictions:

a) YS cannot go to or see the "after realms" where the mortals souls go.
b) YS can only access the power of the recently dead body that YS incarnates in. (YS might pick a powerful magic-using type, but . . .)
c) YS cannot directly affect the balance of the world. If YS kills an evil dragon, another equally powerful evil dragon will appear elsewhere in the world. Only mortals can affect the world and the things in it permanently. YS could try to bring mortals together to be in the right place at the right time to make a change, though YS can't make them make the change.

YS's previous knowledge of the world is contained in the songs of the bards YS has heard (YS was literally one of the stars in the sky that the music made its way towards - that star is now missing from the sky), with all the omissions and exaggerations thereof. YS has never actually seen the world before.

Btw, the world itself is a therapy centre for a third sibling (the youngest sibling), who went insane and is kept in one of the after realms called "Hell" but can observe (and through mortals affect) what goes on in the world (the siblings are immortal and indestructible - imagine sharing an eternal existence with an insane relative!).

A mechanical way to get a tier 1 caster without it overshadowing the party, perhaps?

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »
Sometimes it is nice to go short and sweet:

I like Warlocks, even knowing they are far from powerful. Heck, I can stat one up without going outside the core + Complete Arcane that intros the Warlock, and thus without going into Glaivelock or Hellfire.

Lets see: Human Warlock, Dex 16 (improve at least the first three times), con/wis 14, str/int/cha 10 (28 points)

Feats: P-B Shot, Precise Shot, Great Fort, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Craft Wondrous Items, Improved Precise Shot, Extra Invocation (that feat is also in Complete Arcane).

Invocations: Eldritch Spear, See the Unseen, that chaos 20% protection from ranged/no scent/no tracking one, Flee the Scene, Fell Flight, Eldritch Chain, Vitriolic Blast, Chill Tentacles, the dispel magic one, the improved invisibility one, shadow walk, (feat: the sending one), dark foresight.

Skills: Concentration, Spellcraft, UMD.

See? Not exactly optimized, especially at high levels, but I would have fun playing it. I wonder if that would be a drag on the rest of the party, or whether the DM would have to tone down the encounters, or what?

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:12 am »
Warlock? More like borelock.

But then again, knowing you, the on paper stuff is completely irrelevent since you'll make him/her come alive in some amusing way, heh.
Remember, the moon is watching.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »
Remember, I used to play 1st ed AD&D and Basic/Expert, where there were no feats and no skills.  So it came alive off the paper out of necessity. 

Maybe that is why I often like the simpler builds, some to think of it.  Heck I had to jump through some hoops to buy a disadvantage to have an anima character *not* advance skills automatically (didn't quite succeed but got it down at least).

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:25 am »
Got another (getting into a Magic of Incarnum mood).  This is definitely not a high-powered character.  An incarnate, neutral good, azurin (basically humans that lose the skill point and gain an essentia point), and take out feats to increase essentia.  So at low levels Azure Toughness and Midnight Dodge are useful, then Soultouched Spellcasting (to deal with spell resistance later on), Bonus Essentia, Cerulean Reflexes, Cerulean Fortitude, Cerulean Will, Healing Soul (which requires 1 rank in Healing).

Sadly the skill list for the character is horrible so I could embrace the madness and go for Concentration, Know (arcana) and Spellcraft, or just accept cross-class skills as my fate.

The character would end up with 36 essentia at level 20 with 7 feats that could each take up to 4 of them (although that would lock them away for the day) and 9 souldmelds that could take up to 6 of them (and would not lock them away - a better result usually).

The whole point of essentia is that they are not spent as such, you just move them around the soulmelds as a swift action - so you can be using ones good at combat one round, good at skills the next, good at movement the next, etc.

The soulmelds themselves are chosen from the day from a set list (it is like every member of the class has almost the same spellbook of about 40 soulmelds, right from level 1, with a few banned soulmelds by alignment), and a small subset of the chosen soulmelds are "bound", which gives them extra power but uses up a magic item slot.  And you have 10 slots into which to put soulmelds (bound or not), no more than one to a slot (barring feats) and most soulmelds are only able to go into 1, 2 or 3 particular slots.

So at level 20 I would have 9 souldmelds/day, 5 of which could be bound.  At level 1 I would have only 2 soulmelds and could not bind any yet.

Oh and the slots I could bind soulmelds to are themselves restricted by level (the "feet" one is the first to open up), but that is only a restriction for binding soulmelds, not for having them.

Frankly this would be interesting to try out a new system in 3.5 D&D and see how it works.

One cool point is that the race, class, and feats all come from the same book, and are designed to work together.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »
Still into Magic of Incarnum, thought I would look at the prestige classes.  There is a nice divine caster/meldshaper advancer that has a VERY lawful flavour.  But very lawful doesn't exclude very good, so, hmmm . . .

LG Duskling Cleric 3/Totemist 1/Sapphire Hierarch 10/Cleric 6

Domains: Law, Incarnum

Feats: Shape Soulmeld, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Divine Soultouch, Open Lesser Chakra, Open Lesser Chakra, Open Greater Shakra, + bonus domain feat Incarnum Spellshaping, + 7 bonus exalted feats (including at least Intuitive Attack).

I haven't fleshed this idea out but I think it could work. I couldn't think of a 2nd prestige class to take after finishing SH. To be honest I am more familiar with the incarnate side of things than the totemist side of things, so am not sure what soulmelds to go for (or to get with Shape Soulmeld) but the general idea is there.

Depending on how strict one is with Vow of Poverty, this would restrict a lot of spells that require Divine Focus and the turn undead ability could only be used to fuel the Divine Soultouch feat.

Amusingly, he would from his vow have the ability to hide his alignment from detection spells, but somehow I think an observer could figure it out.