Author Topic: A character I probably won't get to play  (Read 38940 times)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
  • Cut my teeth on 1st ed AD&D
    • http://particle-man6.livejournal.com/
Re: A character I probably won't get to play
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »
Don't know if I will play this or not.  Probably not to high levels, though.  I like the idea of a "no paperwork" mage.  One could pull something like that off in M&M, but the flavour there is (of course) comic book superheroes, and I would like to try the character in a typical fantasy D&D setting.

CG Human

Level 1-6 Warlock, 7-8 Enlightened Spirit (1-2), 9 Binder 1, 10-12 Hellfire Warlock (1-3), 13-20 Enlightened Spirit (3-10).

Feats: Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Arcane Mastery, and all the rest Extra Invocation (which will get a big pile of Least Invocations).

Using the Binder level to get the vestige that lets one heal con damage (which would happen a lot with Hellfire Warlock).

Zap!  Zap!  Zap!  And a bit of flying, teleportation, etc.  Nothing requiring saves though, as they wouldn't work with this build. 
Game MASter that is comPLETEly unfair!

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:30:51 am »
Another one for 7th Sea.  Again, Core only.  A reformed criminal turned Vaticine priest.  But with the church the way it is these days, maybe his criminal skills will come in handy.  Pretty much a pacifist, but I could see him doing crazy stuff with improvised weapons to subdue bad guys.

Eisen.  Traits Max Out (80 points).  Advantages: Academy (2 points), Ordained (4 points, gives free scholar skill), Language: Whatever the heck the rest of the party is speaking (4 points).  Skills: Criminal, Sailor, Scholar, Streetwise, Athlete, Dirty Fighting, Ride, Wrestling.  (10 points).  No virtue, no hubris.  If I don't need to spend 1 or 2 points on a language, I could get a background (Hunted is always good for ex-criminals - even if the law doesn't want you, you usually have made some enemies).

If I depart from core only to take Lightning Reflexes (4 points), then I drop a trait, take Linguist (2 points), and a few more languages (I would "speak" all 7).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:26:47 am by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:20 am »
On the other hand, I could give up on lightning reflexes and just soak damage with brawn and resolve.  With that "tough guy" image in mind, I could be an Eisen from Steiger province (meaning I have to take a hubris, only get 5 points for it, but get one of large, tough or foul-weather jack, determined at random).  With the Steiger accent, I could max out traits (80), take academy and ordained and linguist (8 ), the above skills (10), able drinker (1), and speak all 7 languages while being able to write Eisen, Vodacce and Castille (the vaticine (or half-vaticine) countries)) (6).  So we have a priest with a troubled past and a tragic flaw, a demon he continually fights (and sometimes loses against).  I could run with that.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 09:48:04 am »
Since I got the Cathay pdf, here's a 7th Sea character of a different stripe:

Nation: Tashil (for the +1 Wits)

Languages: Tashil, Han Hua (doesn't read or write either)

Advantages: Huan Shu (35 points!), Legendary Trait (Wits) (3 points), Able Drinker (1 point).

Virtue: (10 points). (Unless it is Propitious - that one is too lame to take, ever).

Traits: All 1's, except for Panache at 2 and Wits at 4 (24 points).  That ain't great, but I need the points elsewhere.  I am always point-starved in 7th Sea.

Skills: Athlete, Hard Martial Arts (both free with advantage).  (Soft Martial Arts was another option, but I want to be able to attack with *something* just in case, and later on a Corps-de-Corps/Throat Strike combo does seem cool - plus I like the fast hard hitting type, not the grapply-joint lock type).  Acrobat, Sailor (4 points). 

Knacks: Raise all Athlete knacks to 3 (advanced count as basic due to advantage): (23 points (I have Hard Martial Arts and Acrobat to help with Footwork, and Sailor to help with Climbing))

Knack list:  attack (hard martial arts) 1, balance 3, block (hard martial arts) 1, break fall 3*, climbing 3*, footwork 3*, jab 1, knotwork 1, leaping 3*, long distance running 3*, lifting 3*, pole vault 3*, rigging 1, rolling 3*, sprinting 3*, swimming 3*, swinging 3*, side-step 3*, & throwing 3*.

Yeah he can't speak any Thean languages (yet), but wow!  This Huan Shu advantage is amazingly cool - among other things (like being able to turn drama dice into initiative dice (albeit adding to the GM's pool)), one keeps both trait and knack dice with athlete rolls (this does not apply to passive defense, but works with active defense just fine)!  Costs a lot, but I really would love to try it out.  There is a built in weakness (no active defense against firearms, also non-athlete knacks like parrys/blocks, grapple, balance and ride don't get the benefit) but that is ok.  At the start of the game athlete active defenses are already 7k7 dice, and other athlete rolls not using Wits are 4k4.  When I max out the knacks and Wits later on, athlete active defenses go up to 10k10 + 20!  Besides, its name means "illusion".  What's not to love?

[Note: Pole Vault is an Athlete Knack added in the Midnight Archepelago supplement.]

So very different from his brothers and sister, Durjaya (Dure-JAI-ah, "difficult to conquer") was bright yet rebellious and often ran away from his teacher as a child (in fact, he never even learned to read).  He was inquisitive, and would observe circus performers and also martial artists and would strive to imitate them.  In doing so he was bright enough to master the basics of martial arts and even to unlock the potential of Huan Shu within himself, an extremely rare feat to accomplish unaided.  Yet he was foolish enough not to pursue a formal martial arts school and hone (or even fully understand) his natural talent (indeed, he erroneously credits his ability to drink without getting drunk to Huan Shu).  Eventually, he realized that there was no place for him at home and so he joined the crew of a ship that was setting out to explore (and perhaps trade with) the strange world to the west.  Once there, he may well end up on another western ship by fair means or foul.  He does not yet speak any western languages, but will rely upon his powers of observation and natural cunning to figure out how to get by until he picks up the tongue of those around him.  Whether he is justified in putting his faith in his own cunning remains to be seen.

Insane Variant: Screw the traits at chargen (buy them with xp later!).  Get: Pirate Trick (Death From Above) 3 points.  Swordsman School Ki Kwanji (25 points, gives free Pugilism and Hard Martial Arts).  Use Huan Shu (35 points to get Soft Martial Arts and Athlete).  Still get a virtue (10 points).  Still get Legendary Trait (Wits (although Panache or Finesse is also tempting) (3 points) and Able Drinker.  So that is 77 points.  Balance is at 2, Footwork at 3.  Sailor (2 points) still is a good skill to have (2 points) so alas I can't absolutely max out the athlete knacks.  Leave Pole Vault at 1).  Don't bother with Acrobat knack (so now backstory replaces acrobat stuff with ki kwanji stuff, which fits wtih Huan Shu better anyhow).

Neat powers from School: All Pugilism, Hard Martial Arts and Ki Kwanji attacks (including Kick) get a free raise!  Attack (Pugilism) and Attack (Hard Martial Arts) become Attack (Ki Kwanji) so starts at 2!

Neat power from Death from Above: If starting from 1 level higher can make Panache + Swinging as an attack (remember Huan Shu means all dice are kept dice for this!).  Damage is 3k1 and opponent goes prone.  If I miss, make another Panache + Swinging vs. TN 15 to avoid going prone myself.

The Knack list would be different: attack (ki kwanji) 2, balance 3, block (soft martial arts) 1, block (hard martial arts) 1, break fall 3*, climbing 3*, exploit weakness (ki kwanji), footwork 3*, grapple 1, jab 2, kick 1, knotwork 1, leaping 3*, long distance running 3*, lifting 3*, pole vault 1*, rigging 1, rolling 3*, sprinting 3*, swimming 3*, swinging 3*, side-step 3*, snap-kick 1, throwing 3*, uppercut 1 and yield 1.

To add even more insanity, scare up 7 points from somewhere for Natural Aptitude: Swinging.  This would allow me to declare raises *after* I roll the dice instead of before!  Combine with the pirate trick above for extra wow power.  :)

And maybe later in his career join the Knights of the Rose and Cross.  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:26:41 am by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 09:56:49 pm »
Back to D&D 3e, I find myself looking at the Spellthief, of all things.   Not a powerful character, but an interesting idea.  I don't even have much of a concept fleshed out yet, but maybe I will modify this post later.  :)

As of now, I am thinking a "philosophical talky" guy, an intellectual but not necessarily a wise one.  He would not wear armour, and might spend a lot of time asking people if they ever wondered what the point of it all was.  Yeah, he would probably get eaten, wouldn't he?  :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:47:36 pm by Particle_Man »

sirstargazer

• The Lord of feathers
  • Administrator
  • Legendary
  • the wicked
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »
Back to D&D 3e, I find myself looking at the Spellthief, of all things.   Not a powerful character, but an interesting idea.  I don't even have much of a concept fleshed out yet, but maybe I will modify this post later.  :)

As of now, I am thinking a "philosophical talky" guy, an intellectual but not necessarily a wise one.  He would not wear armour, and might spend a lot of time asking people if they ever wondered what the point of it all was.  Yeah, he would probably get eaten, wouldn't he?  :)

sounds a bit like Marvin the Paranoid Android.
"Hiding the fact you're dead again
Underneath the power lines seeking shade
Far above our heads are the icy heights that contain all reason
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks
That let us bet when you know we should've folded "~ The Shins

scientology

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:01:49 pm »
Not terminally depressed though (I've done that guy in an Exalted campaign).  This would be a more Neutral, Boccob worshipping guy that pauses to ask questions like "I wonder why you kobolds are so obsessed with traps, anyhow?  Goblins don't bother, neither do lizard folk.  Is it some sort of racial fad?"  So not "what's the point" as in depressed/suicidal, more "what's the point" as in curious.

Given a generous 30 point buy (one of my DMs allows this) I would go Str 8, dex 14, con 14, int 16, wis 10, chr 14.
Human, so 10 skills to max out (hide/move silent/spot/listen, concentration/spellcraft/use magic device, tumble/escape artist, gather information).  Feats, if going out of the PHB could be (in order) Eschew Materials, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, Quickdraw, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes (other feats to consider: Combat Casting, and the one and only feat for Spellthieves specifically -- Master Spellthief).  Not sure about spells yet (nothing that requires a save or overcoming SR though).  I thus would be neglecting Trapfinding, but all characters make choices, so I would simply be ignoring some class features.  I like the idea of Gather Info and Spellcraft as each in their way give me info on the spells worth stealing that others use.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:58:33 am by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 12:26:45 am »
curious

Hmmm . . . what if he were or became addicted to the magic he stole?

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 01:48:58 pm »
I just realized how much cooler the spellthief is in Pathfinder.  Oddly, you don't have to change much except that middle BAB characters get d8 hit dice.  Assuming you allow the only "spellthief" feat that ever was officially made (Master Spellthief) you are otherwise good to go.  There would be more feats available (allowing for Combat Casting and the aforementioned Master Spellthief, and maybe one other, or else another race than human?).  There would be skill consolidation (so maybe less Int would be required?).  This would allow the Spellthief to be the "locks and traps" guy too, if that niche needed to be filled in the party.  He wouldn't need stats that are too high, oddly enough.

There are two philosophies of Pathfinder.  One is the "look we just got out of splatbook hell, let's just use Pathfinder class books" and the other is "the whole point of Pathfinder is to be 3.x compatible, so why not use other 3.x classes too?".  Obviously the spellthief would only fit in the campaigns with the latter philosophy.  However, I don't think that anyone would argue that the spellthief is broken or overpowered (their signature "schtick" would be used more or less based on opponents, but I think I could find ways to amuse myself).

Hmmmm.  I must think on this more.  :)

Floogal

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »
There is already a spellthief in Pathfinder.  The Advanced Player's Guide has a Bard variant called "Sandman".  Read up on the variant here.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 10:57:17 pm »
Interesting but I think I like spellthief better.  For one thing, if he gets the sneak attack in he steals the spell (whereas the otherway the guy gets a will save).  Also, the spellthief can steal other things, like spell-like abilities, and energy resistance.  And (this is my favourite) the spells the spellthief steals are cast at the victim's caster level and with the victim's calculated save DC.  Alas, the fact that the Sandman option exists makes it even less likely that I will get to play my spellthief.  But then, that does fit the title of this thread.  :)

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 08:59:08 pm »
I'm a bit sickly so this is not fleshed out yet.

7th Sea - core so far.  Montaigne soldier type, saved a village from poisoning by a madman, now tasked to catch the madman (Hunting 3).

Traits: all 2's?  Virtue (I like him to be a hero).  Citation (for saving the village).  Valroux swordsman school.  Knows lots of languages, has a commission, able drinker would be nice.  Firearms, Athlete, Pugilism, Ride, Wrestling (so I guess Academy would be a good idea), free Fencing and Knife and swordsman's guild membership, Scholar, Streetwise, Courtier, + Specialization (Balance, Shadowing, Stealth) (I know that I could get the latter two under "spy" or "criminal" but I don't want either of those terms in my character's description).  I was thinking a Captain who could r/w all 7 main languages + Thean, but may have to settle for a Corporal that knows some.  Damn that 100 point limit!  :)

Back to work and illness . . .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:03:30 pm by Particle_Man »

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:25 pm »
Short but Sweet: An Orc with the Orc paragon Class from Unearthed Arcana (3.5).  Not sure what to do after level 3 though.  More on this later.  Not evil.

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:51 am »
So what do I like to play, in general?

I like to play characters that are really, really good at what they do.

I like playing "good guys".

I like combat.

I like simple to manage characters (from the lazy player pov).  I don't mind complex chargen, but I want simple play, esp. in combat.

But sometimes these come into conflict.  Eg.  The assassin character can't really be said to be a "good guy".

I like characters that strike a cord with me thematically.

I like characters whose mechanics "hang together" to support a theme (sometimes the mechanics of a game book or supplement will itself suggest a character to me).

Particle_Man

• Legendary
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:47 pm »
I'm baaaaack!

Just had a 3.5 idea.  It uses the Malconvoker (a prestige class from Complete Scoundrel) and Fiend-Blooded (a prestige class form Heroes of Horror) and some Fiendish Heritage feats from Complete Mage.  It is by no means tweaked for power, but thematically it seems to work.  I will use a 30 point buy, since that is the rule for the only 3.5 campaign I am currently in and I have to use something.

"Relax, this is perfectly safe!"

Human CN (can't be good or evil, and chaotic fits the riskiness of the character concept)
Sorceror 6/Malconvoker 5/Fiend-Blooded 9  HD d4 all the way (fragile!)

Base Stats.

Str 8
Int 16 (10 points) to 17
Wis 8
Dex 10 (2 points) to 11
Con 10 (2 points) to 11
Chr 18 (add to this every 4 levels). (16 points) so to 24 before magic items and wishes and the like.

Feats: 1: Eschew Materials, Fiendish Heritage. 3. Spell Focus (Conjuration).  6. Augment Summoning.  9. Blood Calls to Blood (Heroes of Horror).  12. Fiendish Legacy 15. Fiendish Resistance 18. Fiendish Power  [the first 4 feats are simply prerequisites for the 2 prestige classes, the last 4 feats are for flavour].  Free: Skill Focus (bluff)

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal.

I could probably do something similar in Pathfinder with a Sorceror with Fiendish bloodline, but then I haven't run into someone that like to mix Pathfinder with the 3.5 splatbooks (I mean technically they are meant to be compatible -- I just haven't run into the DM that goes that way yet).

So this gives us a Sorceror at spellcasting ability of level 19 (but technically a caster level of 20 with evil spells, like when summoning evil creatures).  A snake (tiny viper) familiar as if 15th level spellcaster level but 20th character level (and with the fiendish template to boot, even though not evil!).  3 1x/day spell-like abilities (teleport, summon fiendish monster V, unholy blight), Cold and Electricity Res 5, Acid and Fire Res 14, +5 save vs. poison (and -1 hp or ability damage from same), +1 save vs. good creatures' spells/effects, +2 save vs. fiends' and half-fiends' spells/effects/attacks, +1 on my Conjuration spell DCs, +1 on my evil spell DCs, and *much* tougher monsters when I summon them (augment summoning gives +4 str/con, plus the equivalent of extend spell and an extra creature and extra damage and hp (on top of the feat) if I bluff some evil summoned creatures (not sure if this applies to the spell-like ability Summon Monster V but I don't see why not)!  Technically the Planar Binding spells are added to my spells known, but that would seem foolish to try.  Oh, and summoning evil critter won't make me evil.  +1 AC, Cha, Int, Dex and Con (woot!).  A few extra spells known (must be fire or enchantment, illusion or necromancy though - well I could find something good).  Can Smite spell 2/day (add 9+cha modifier to spell damage to all creatures damaged by a spell of mine -- not great, but hey it is free)).  More spells known than a regular Sorceror (although some are restricted in their natures) and ultimately 2 less 9th level slots than a normal Sorceror.  Simple weapon proficiencies, no armour or shield proficiencies.

Magic Items - well boosting bluff and charisma would be key here.  I don't really have a detailed idea of this (I am old-fashioned enough to prefer to find my magic items in forgotten ruins, rather than buy them at a magic shop or have them commissioned).

BAB +9/4 (grapple same),  Base Saves Fort +6  Ref +6  Will +15  Base AC 11 (10 if flat-footed).  Initiative +0.

Skills: Bluff (+36), Concentration (+23), Knowledge (arcana) (+26), Knowledge (planes)  (+26) and Spellcraft (+28) maxed out (natch).  Now since knowledge (planes) is not a Sorceror class skill, this means that it was say at 4 ranks when entering Malconvoker, and so that would take 5 levels to "top up".  That leaves 15 skill points to spread around (6 in Sorceror and 9 in Fiend-blooded).  Not many attractive class skills to spend these on, frankly.  Maybe cross-class into spot/listen? tumble?  If I go with class skills it would likely be 6 ranks in some craft or profession and 9 ranks in intimidate (with some room for perhaps up to 5 of those ranks in disguise, knowledge (religion) or again some craft or profession) if I delay topping up Knowledge (planes)). Maybe 3 cc ranks each in spot and listen (so +4 each given alertness from familiar), delay topping up knowledge (planes) by one level to put 1 class rank in knowledge (religion) (+4) (just so I can try to make checks in it), and finally get 1 cc rank in tumble (ditto) (+1)?  I also end up with Diplomacy and Intimidate and Disguise (act in character) +9, Survival on other planes +1, and the rest follow the stats.

Well there we are!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:08:41 am by Particle_Man »